Front struts from MM coil over kit gone bad?

out99sider

Established Member
Coil-Over Package, 1994-04 Mustang [COP-52] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

I bought this kit, about 6 years ago, but havent really driven my mustang much over this time. I have some serious creaking and thought it was steering. Come to find out, mechanic informed me both front Bilstein struts from the kit have gone bad and making the noise. I was under the impression these had million mile warrenty. What are my options? Does anyone have used set? Apparently the warrenty is from manufacturer defect... I just don't understand what would cause them to wear so fast.

Appreciate the help as usual.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Coil-Over Package, 1994-04 Mustang [COP-52] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

I bought this kit, about 6 years ago, but havent really driven my mustang much over this time. I have some serious creaking and thought it was steering. Come to find out, mechanic informed me both front Bilstein struts from the kit have gone bad and making the noise. I was under the impression these had million mile warrenty. What are my options? Does anyone have used set? Apparently the warrenty is from manufacturer defect... I just don't understand what would cause them to wear so fast.

Appreciate the help as usual.

Get a second opinion.

SVTContique

Bilstein makes the best struts out there for our cars... Highly unlikely that they are no good anymore. Get another opinion.

CzchMex

Established Member
My front bilstien make the same noise. Every speed bump it makes a crap load of noise. I never pinpointed it to the shocks/struts (whatever we have). Always thought it was my bushings or spring isolators. But I'm pointing to my shocks. The car sat for awhile before I purchased it. Maybe the shocks don't like sitting?

out99sider

Established Member
My front bilstien make the same noise. Every speed bump it makes a crap load of noise. I never pinpointed it to the shocks/struts (whatever we have). Always thought it was my bushings or spring isolators. But I'm pointing to my shocks. The car sat for awhile before I purchased it. Maybe the shocks don't like sitting?

Exactly what I'm hearing. It almost sounds like the wheels are rubbing but I had mechanic go up and down the car and boiled the noise down to the struts. Anyone else have this problem with Bilsteins?

amorrow

Established Member
I've had that kit installed on my car since '04, and haven't had any issues. Granted, I've put only ~9K miles since, and the fact my car has gone nearly a year without being driven leads me to believe the Bilsteins aren't super prone to automatically going bad after sitting. The only noises I've experienced with my car has been due to tire clearance with the swaybar at full turn, but this is only at low speeds with the wheel really cranked....and the common caliper rattle generally noticed when going over bumps.

I agree with getting a second opinion from a reputable tech, and if your struts are indeed the source of the noise, I bet something is responsible other than the struts he struts themselves (installation, etc), or you happened to get a defective pair.

And just another thought...in my experience any creaking noises I've heard in my cars have generally been related to bushings of some sort....two examples being control arm bushings in my '65 and rear control arm bushings in my '05...or I know you already checked it since you checked the steering, but inner tie rods in my first '98.

CzchMex

Established Member
I haven't gotten around to it, but rule out any bushings. I was going to spray some silicone lubricant on the sway bars, end link bushings, spring isolators, etc to eliminate which one.

Spray one item at a time and then. Drive. Then repeat. Also don't use wd40. It will dry the bushings faster and ruin them

Users who are viewing this thread