Front stud turning!!!Help!!!

sltblock

Established Member
I did a power slot swap out last night and when reinstalling my front wheel (with air) one of my studs started turning before the lug was tight. I now can not remove the lug with out it just spinning. What do I do now??? How do I get the front wheel off to change out the wheel stud? Please any help would be great. I did start all lug by hand before using the Air gun. Help please, Rob

wheelhopper

Established Member
You'll have to get behind the rotor as best you can and either get some vice grips on the back of the stud to hold it still and remove the lug or try to hammer the stud tight to continue turning the nut. The first choice is probably more likely. Either way you got a PITA on your hands.

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
This happend to me on my first tire rotation on my brand new 03 !!!!!! If I recall correctly we ended up taking the center cap off of the wheel,pulling the dust cap and nut off the hub and removing the wheel and hub together so access to the back of the stud to stop it from turning.............

Hope this helps

sltblock

Established Member
I was not sure if the center cap opening was that big. The hub will not come off the car with the brakes and brackets installed will it? Correct me if Im wrong. If not I will have to try the knuckle buster way with vice grips. Thanks for the help!!! Rob

TIMS93GT

Established Member
Turn the wheel sharp and either grab the stud with vice grips, or take a grinder and grind the head off so that the stud will pull thru....then replace with new.

Tim

sltblock

Established Member
There is only a very small window back there to work with. Its going to be a two man job.

Users who are viewing this thread