Front tire recommendations?

Jensanity

Established Member
Hey, guys, looking for a little help. Searched a bunch, but can't quite find what I am looking for. I am going to run a 275 (stock 10th's) Nitto NT05 out back since I can't quite afford the R888 this time around. My question is what would you recommend for the fronts? I want a high mileage tire that will look good with the NT05. I was thinking about a set of 555, sport comp 2, or some htrz II(sumo) If there isn't really a problem getting sumo up front maybe I could swing the 888 out back.

Car is ported/pullied: 2.76/4#
longtubes
jlt gen1 high boost

605/575

I kid I kid, not been on dyno but guessing low 500...

what would you guys run?? I don't want to replace fronts as often as rears.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Are you looking for dry traction or wet traction? Are you against Drag Radials? You can run NT05s on front and rear and match exactly, NT05s front/NT05Rs (Drag Radial) rear, NT555 front/555R Rear (and you can even run the 315/35/17 on the stock 17x9 rim since the NT555Rs run narrow). You can run NT555 front/Mickey Thompson Drag Radial rear or NT555 front/Toyo R888 rear. Those are the options I would go with and none of them are too pricey especially not the NT555s for the front. The other front tire options you mentioned may be less expensive, so you can always run the any of those with your choice of rear tire that I mentioned. Good luck, have fun and be safe!

Jensanity

Established Member
Thanks, bud! Trying go stay away from a DR guess I should have mentioned that, and I'd like to be ok if caught out in the rain. Probably going to end up going a little bit "performance/sticky" in back and "longevity/hard" up front. Maybe 555/R888 or 555/NT05
Was curious if anyone had anything negative to say about a 555 or cheaper tire up front since? Not sure if my thought process is flawed, but this should hopefully allow me decent traction for straight line and ok life on at least 2 of the 4 tires without sacrificing the straight line performance right?

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Just go with NT05s on front and rear then. That way you'll match all the way around and they provide better traction than the NT555s. It's a nice tire for what you're looking for. I wouldn't mix match unless I was running Drag Radials or R888s on the rear. Since that's not your case I would go NT05s front/rear.

POISNUS04

Established Member
I am in the same situation. I have NT05's out back. Need to replace fronts soon. debating on NT555's or NT05's I am leaning toward NT05's due to the low milage I put on.

b_dike

Established Member
I don't think there would be a problem with 555's up front and nt05's rear. I do know the 555's up front will last a long time. Probably around 30k miles or so... and they're alot better than the sumo's. imo

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Get the nt555 up front and nt05 in the back
/thread

The nt05 up front wont last long. the nt555 is a great steering tire
On my old set up I had the sport comp up front and nto5 out back

Last edited:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I had NT555 in the front years back with 555R's in the rear. I never had any problems with that set up... concerning the 555 in the front. I dont recommend 555R's in the rear for a car that sees rain (but you said you didnt want that, just disclaiming). I am currently running NT-05 front and rear... I like it a lot. I cant knock going NT-05 with 555 front, but I would personally recommend NT05. My experience with them is very positive... lots of confidence on the street... as hard as I am willing to push them anyway.

Jensanity

Established Member
I appreciate all the feedback guys. How many miles are you guys seeing out of the NT05 on the rear and on the front? I like the idea of a 30,000 mile good steering tire up front with some grip out back, but am curious how much life comes from the NT05 all around.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
I appreciate all the feedback guys. How many miles are you guys seeing out of the NT05 on the rear and on the front? I like the idea of a 30,000 mile good steering tire up front with some grip out back, but am curious how much life comes from the NT05 all around.

You wont get 30,000 out of the nt05 front or back

gabe1530

Banned
i ran the nt05r in back and nt05 in front. great combo.
i would match them all around in your situation though. great overall tire and it allows you to rotate.

Jensanity

Established Member
You wont get 30,000 out of the nt05 front or back

Haha yeah I only wish that was the case. I was refering to using the 555 up front and getting 30k out of those. Looked into getting some NT05 today and they are on a long back order through discounttiredirect and I need something about a month ago haha.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I personally didn't like the NT05 up front. While it's not a full on drag radial it seems to have some of the properties. After highway driving which heated the fronts they hooked really well in corners but once they cooled braking and cornering became real iffy. Made for unpredictable handling especially as the tires aged some. After two seasons I also found the tires seemed to have gone rock hard from heat cycles I presume and would slide out on corners and slip on braking to stop lights too until you heated them good on the highway.
After that experience I won't recommend anyone go with NT05 up front. They may seem cool at first but give them some miles and heat cycles and see how crappy they become.

I eventually went back to the stock factory choice of Eagle F1s. They hook hard, corner like a beast and brake well. They ride quiet and the price is reasonable. I see no reason to run anything else other than if you're trying to match treads or something between front and rear which I'm not overly concerned about since no front tire is going to match the MT out back.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I have an invo out back and 555 extreme in front and they are loud as hell I'm not too sure how old they are though to be fair. Grip and wear is excellent but I'm pretty easy on turns with this boat.

Jensanity

Established Member
What type of mileage can be seen with the 555r in the rear? Are they really THAT bad in the rain/on wet roads? Sometimes I get caught in rain driving about 1:45min to go see my gf or coming home. Would they be too dangerous for such a trip in the rain?

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I wouldn't recommend any Drag Radial for the rain, but I've driven NT555Rs and MT ET Street IIs in the rain and they were both fine. I had lots of tread on both though and I drove like a grandma and didn't do anything crazy. I just took my time and all was well. Both experiences were several hours of driving for each tire and all was well, but I never intentionally go in the rain with Drag Radials!

I also run Nitto NT555s up front with MTs out back on one of my set of 18s, NT555 front/NT555R back on another set of 18s and Goodyear GSD 3s front/Hoosier Drag Radials rear on my 17x9/17x10.5 with an extra 17x9 on MT ET Street IIs, so as you can see I have no problem mismatching front and rear tires (as long as they're in matching sets) as traction and performance are my main goals/concerns.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I rolled a car on drag radials on the rain at 45mph... And they were still good, not bald... moderate-heavy rain.

As far as miles on NT-05, reportedly only expect 10k out them, I put so few miles on them that I can't comment to their longevity. 555R will get you far less than that.... 555 will probably be good to close to 30k like previously stated.

Users who are viewing this thread