Front Tire Size Problem

brigs

Established Member
I have the FR500 9" wheel up front (10" in back) and have some rubbing issues on the top front left of the passenger well on a hard turn. Currently have 275/35/18's in front (295 in back). What size(s) could/should I go to? I've done some reading and searching, but need some help here. I know the 275 is popular and looks great, but it's causing problems.

brigs

Established Member
Yes, lowered by previous owner not sure how much (Viking coil overs) and there’s a wire tuck up in the well I’m concerned about. It’s an issue when I make a sharp left turn it hits in the upper left (passenger side).

fc69dfb6d0eae7dcb927f7c862c54570.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
I've heard of rubbing problems with even 265.
Terminators limited the steering for that reason.

I've only run 255 with no problems.

brigs

Established Member
Not sure when the last alignment was done. Bought the car within the last year. UPR chromoly K member with coil overs up front (250 lb. springs?), Tokico Illumina Series shocks I believe (white), UPR Caster camber plates. In back SRA with newer BMR solid diff. bushings, solid spherical uppers and lowers, Strange 10 way shocks.

What about a 255/35/18? Or a 245/40/18? With the wire tuck in there (top left), which I'm trying to figure out, the tire's rubbed it and it will eventually cause a problem.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Check your k member alignment and get the alignment checked. We put 275/35/18's on my son's 99 GT and it didn't rub. I think it was on Eibach springs. Changing the caster and camber angles can affect clearance. And if the K isn't squared it'll cause issues.

shurur

Established Member
Check your k member alignment and get the alignment checked. We put 275/35/18's on my son's 99 GT and it didn't rub. I think it was on Eibach springs. Changing the caster and camber angles can affect clearance. And if the K isn't squared it'll cause issues.

1. So you are saying decrease positive caster for the wider tires?
2. And go toward more positive camber on the negative camber (keeping a bit negative) camber? sorry for the wording..(decrease negative camber gets confusing..)

Just trying to clarify.

01yellercobra

Established Member
1. So you are saying decrease positive caster for the wider tires?
2. And go toward more positive camber on the negative camber (keeping a bit negative) camber? sorry for the wording..(decrease negative camber gets confusing..)

Just trying to clarify.
It was more of a general comment really. I know my son had his car set pretty close to stock since all he had was lowering springs. He did the alignment himself in class.

But depending on where the angles are it can move the tire closer to rub points as the tire is turned. And if the K member isn't square, say the passenger side is further forward than the driver side, it'll make things worse.

I personally haven't run an 18" rim on anything, but I had 275/40/17's on the front of my 01 which should be the same overall size and I didn't have any rubbing issues with the stock suspension.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Front left? Washer reservoir. There is a bump in that fender liner to accommodate it and the front left wheel can hit it on a hard turn. I have aftermarket A arms and K and I had to delete the reservoir and heat up that part of the liner and just pop it out. Job done. If its just rubbing at full lock like most of them do with 275s up front I wouldn't worry about it.

brigs

Established Member
Problem is that there's a wire tuck in the passenger well up in the top left and it's pushing against it when turned hard. Going to have to look into all the suggestions above, but I might just have to get a smaller tire. If the wire tuck wasn't there, I wouldn't have to worry about it, but it's definitely going to cause problems the way it is now.

Front left? Washer reservoir. There is a bump in that fender liner to accommodate it and the front left wheel can hit it on a hard turn. I have aftermarket A arms and K and I had to delete the reservoir and heat up that part of the liner and just pop it out. Job done. If its just rubbing at full lock like most of them do with 275s up front I wouldn't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread