Front Tire Wear - Suggestions

XP900

Established Member
Need suggestions on front end issues for excessive tire wear.

History - Both front and rear Michelin 4S summer tires installed. Pressure set to 32. After 14K miles the front insides were badly worn--replaced along with a front end algnment. Back tires had even wear. Front end alignment specs with new front tires in picture below - specs I gave them to use. Front end has Steeda adjustable upper strut mounts that were installed to eliminate the common strut mount popping noise issue.

17.5K miles later and I have excessive road noise, tire pinging sound (common with Michelins), some whistling and a very bad grumbling issue at slow coasting speed around 10mph--It feels like you are driving on a cobblestone road and it can be felt through the brake peda, very annoying. Looked at tires and they seemed okay, checked front end and it seemed fine. Car drives at high speeds fine. Front wheel bearings changed -- didn't resolve the problem. I replaced the back tires since they were near the wear bars and inspection was coming up (I got about 35K out of the rears). Issues still present

I replaced both fronts with a new set of 4S tires since at close inspection I did see the start of inside cupping/wear and I was running out of ideas as to the cause. Front tire replacements fixed all the problems even though they did not look that bad. Pictures of front tires below.

Any suggestions for the front end or alignment changes? Car seems to be going through front tires too fast. Only driven on the street with mainly normal driving. The front end is stock at normal height and original struts. 2010 with stock 19 inch rims and 2013/14 brake kit. Only addition was BMR A-Arm support brace and Steeda mounts. Car has 65K on it. Will replace with Contis or cheaper tires next time!

Attachments

• align.jpeg
    align.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 53
  • tires.jpeg
    tires.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 39

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I see nothing wrong with your alignment specs. You can actually dial in as much as -1.25* camber left and right, which I have run for many years on the street, without excessive tire wear.

My guess would be improper wheel balance or worn suspension components, front struts most likely; defective tires unlikely but possible. I would like to see those worn tires road force balanced.

XP900

Established Member
I have the exact same issue and have for years. I just buy a new set of fronts every year.
Yeh I may have to every two years or so...going with cheaper tires on the front...or replacing parts to see if I can stop it.

XP900

Established Member
I see nothing wrong with your alignment specs. You can actually dial in as much as -1.25* camber left and right, which I have run for many years on the street, without excessive tire wear.

My guess would be improper wheel balance or worn suspension components, front struts most likely; defective tires unlikely but possible. I would like to see those worn tires road force balanced.
I actually had this set of fronts road balanced twice...once when installed and then again about 1K later when I have the front end aligned by Ford who didn't have to make any weight changes. Didn't have them road balanced tested before yanking them off and replaced but kept them in case the new tires didn't fix the tissue. My wheels with PS4S usually need very little weights during balancing. I bumped up tire pressure to 34 from 31-32 on the fronts since it may have been making the wear worse. I'm thinking it may be the struts too but choices now are slim....tried forever to get the Ford performance ones but never found a set in stock. I'll have to see what's available for a 2010,,, may be cheaper than changing front tires every 15-17K. Ball joints appeared to be good.

XP900

Established Member
Is your car lowered by way of aftermarket springs?
Stock springs, struts and shocks still... 2010 with 65k... Looking at struts and shock options... Doubt i want it lowered in front.. too many road issues in ny... Back drop would be between .5 and 3/4 most if i do it

Users who are viewing this thread