Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
The front passenger wheel bearing went out on my car recently. It looks like someone installed the grease cap so that part of the lip got bent in and the grease leaked out. Anyways...

I tried searching here on SVTP butg could not find out how to replace the bearing? Does it need machine work? Do I just geat a bearing by itself, or does part of the suspension get replaced with it?

Any help, tools required or links on how to do it would be awesome!

Thanks guys
Chris

RGrossman

Established Member
Take the wheel off. Remove the brake caliper assembly. 2 bolts hold this on. The entire thing will come off together. Remove the rotor. Use a screwdriver to pop the cap off. Use a 36MM socket and a big breaker bar to break the nut loose. The entire front bear assembly will come off.

I don't know how you go about just replacing the bearing.

When I had a snapped stud, I bought the entire new assembly from Ford for 62 bucks which had the new bearing and all new studs that just slid right on.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
The bearings arent serviced seperately. you buy a new hub&bearing assembly, and torque it down to 240 lb-ft.

badda bing, badda boom.

the rears are 'slightly more involved' but i did a writeup on it in the how-to section. you may have to change the popup menu at the bottom of your screen to choose threads from the beginning rather than threads from the last 30 days.

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
Thank you guys soooooooooooo much! Ford wanted $220 or so parts and labor to do this. Sounds a lot cheaper to do it myself!

You are sure it's 240 ft-lbs (just want to verify)? Do I need any loc-tite on the nut or anything? I want to do it 100% correctly.

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
I did a writeup on front wheel hub bearing assembly replacement on StangNet in the 4.6 tech section it has pictures and everything. I got all my parts at the Ford parts counter, in stock.

Here are a few tips I remember:
-the hub bearing assembly cost $74
-the 36mm nut was $14 (you cannot re-use the old one!)
-the dust cap was $6 and is very fragile, be careful
-the torque spec was ~258 foot pounds on the big nut (it was a lot of torque)
-it was an easy job
-part number is different for ABS vs non-ABS (with or without ABS ring)

Last edited:

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I need to do this soon. How specific is the tq rating? My torque wrench only goes up to 250 ft lbs and dunno anyone with one that goes higher.

Thanks

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
For anyone interested in the future, the article in mention is:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=616312

Kilgore Trout said:
I did a writeup on front wheel hub bearing assembly replacement on StangNet in the 4.6 tech section it has pictures and everything. I got all my parts at the Ford parts counter, in stock.

Here are a few tips I remember:
-the hub bearing assembly cost $74
-the 36mm nut was $14 (you cannot re-use the old one!)
-the dust cap was $6 and is very fragile, be careful
-the torque spec was ~258 foot pounds on the big nut (it was a lot of torque)
-it was an easy job
-part number is different for ABS vs non-ABS (with or without ABS ring)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread