FRPP Short block into a 2012 GT500 what to do about the knock sensors

Cuda426

Established Member
Looking for any help on how to deal with knock sensor install to the FRPP iron short block. Anyone done this or have needed information.

I have a customer that wants to install an Iron Ford Racing Short Block in his 2012 GT500 and I need to figure out what to do with the knock sensors. Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone done this?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe the block has the knock sensor bosses. These same blocks were used in truck engines that had knock sensors. Here is a link to the RFPP Cobra Jet short block photo. You can see the knock sensor bosses in this pic.

M-6009-C54SC4.jpg

Kevin P

Established Member
I suspect Aluminum vs Iron blocks will have different sensor "calibrations" for knock sensors. Might be something to think about. I don't know this for sure though.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Looking for any help on how to deal with knock sensor install to the FRPP iron short block. Anyone done this or have needed information.

I have a customer that wants to install an Iron Ford Racing Short Block in his 2012 GT500 and I need to figure out what to do with the knock sensors. Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone done this?

What would be the reason for this? Did his stock '12 Aluminum 5.4 blow?

Cuda426

Established Member
He will be getting a revised Lund tune, I let him know about this incase adjustments need to be made.

Cuda426

Established Member
What would be the reason for this? Did his stock '12 Aluminum 5.4 blow?

Yes, he advised he was racing a GTR on a hiway pull and at 140 mph cut out and a massive wall of smoke started pouring out the back of the car. He limped it home and found oil was coating the back of the firewall and dripping out of the KB air filter. At idle there is a massive amount of blowby. Engine has 80,000 miles on it and is his daily driver. He's wanting to get it back on the road as soon as possible.

Cuda426

Established Member
One more question for you guys. I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading that we will need the 2007 to 2009 water pump and possibly a freeze plug to install behind the water pump in the new FRPP block? Anybody have any info on this? Anything else you can think of that I might run into?

que4dog

Established Member
One more question for you guys. I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading that we will need the 2007 to 2009 water pump and possibly a freeze plug to install behind the water pump in the new FRPP block? Anybody have any info on this? Anything else you can think of that I might run into?

Yes. See the block pictured in post #2. It has the freeze installed. Just make sure it is installed in the block you receive before installing the water pump over it.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Yes, he advised he was racing a GTR on a hiway pull and at 140 mph cut out and a massive wall of smoke started pouring out the back of the car. He limped it home and found oil was coating the back of the firewall and dripping out of the KB air filter. At idle there is a massive amount of blowby. Engine has 80,000 miles on it and is his daily driver. He's wanting to get it back on the road as soon as possible.

Wow, so he wasn't stock though, what KB?, but people keep saying "TUNE, TUNE!" but 5.4ls blowing up esp the 2011-12 as no other aluminum 5.4's were made scares me, you'd have to throw in the 100lb heavier iron block which seems like a step back, that is a lotta weight gain, esp in just the front.

Last edited:

Cuda426

Established Member
Wow, so he wasn't stock though, what KB?, but people keep saying "TUNE, TUNE!" but 5.4ls blowing up esp the 2011-12 as no other aluminum 5.4's were made scares me, you'd have to throw in the 100lb heavier iron block which seems like a step back, that is a lotta weight gain, esp in just the front.

Theres a lot more to this story. I put no blame on the engine here. Cat failure on the right bank, engine suffered damage as a result, but did not blow up. Customer drives this car hard. Speed shop that installed the KB 3.6 29,000 miles ago installed a smaller pulley, putting boost at 18 to 19 lbs on the stock exhaust with cats. Not a good idea in my opinion

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Theres a lot more to this story. I put no blame on the engine here. Cat failure on the right bank, engine suffered damage as a result, but did not blow up. Customer drives this car hard. Speed shop that installed the KB 3.6 29,000 miles ago installed a smaller pulley, putting boost at 18 to 19 lbs on the stock exhaust with cats. Not a good idea in my opinion

Thank you for giving me the run down Cuda. :rockon:

Cuda426

Established Member
I'm now looking for a link showing instructions for Timing chains / Camshaft install and alignment procedure. I've searched the Ford Racing instructions and have not found anything. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Kurt

Snoopy49

Established Member

Engine has 80,000 miles on it and is his daily driver.
:dw:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm now looking for a link showing instructions for Timing chains / Camshaft install and alignment procedure. I've searched the Ford Racing instructions and have not found anything. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Kurt, here are the instructions for the 4.6 DOHC timing set. Instructions are the same as the 5.4. Don't install the cam followers until you have the chains aligned and installed. A cam holding tool is a must for torquing the cam bolts unless you have aftermarket cams with a hex in the center. Don't use the cams and chains to hold the camshaft to torque the cam bolts. Sprockets are powdered metal parts and can crack.

Cuda426

Established Member
Kurt, here are the instructions for the 4.6 DOHC timing set. Instructions are the same as the 5.4. Don't install the cam followers until you have the chains aligned and installed. A cam holding tool is a must for torquing the cam bolts unless you have aftermarket cams with a hex in the center. Don't use the cams and chains to hold the camshaft to torque the cam bolts. Sprockets are powdered metal parts and can crack.

Thanks a bunch, that's what I was looking for. I found a tool kit, OTC 6498 on AMAZON. Do you know if that will work for the holding tool?

roxas4620

Established Member
Op is there anyway I could contact you over the phone I am considering replacing my engine with a frpp short block also

Users who are viewing this thread