FRPP side exhaust installed

twawsico

Established Member
I actually had this installed in July by Gearheads in Arlington, TX. I missed the side exhaust that I had on my 2012 Boss, so I went with the FRPP kit (M-5220-MSVT). I got it from Levittown for $797.50. Combined with the FRPP axle backs I already had, it's definitely loud but I like it. No drone whatsoever.

Some pics.
Sideexhaust1_zps6b9056f1.jpg

Sideexhaust2_zps22fbf7b8.jpg

At the front, the guys at Gearheads welded the pipes instead of just using the supplied clamps. :)
Sideexhaust3_zps963520cf.jpg

Side tips are well subdued/hidden, like they were on the Boss.
Sideexhaust4_zps3a39fdec.jpg

Last edited:

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Not my style but looks like they did a really nice job with the install and the tips are hidden really well.

Nice mod! :rockon:

Need an audio clip/video of it now!

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
That appears to be an H-pipe, where the picture from Ford racing for the quad pipes designed for the Shelby is an X type crossover? Did you get the Boss quads designed for the GT, or is the pic and description from Ford Racing wrong?

twawsico

Established Member
That appears to be an H-pipe, where the picture from Ford racing for the quad pipes designed for the Shelby is an X type crossover? Did you get the Boss quads designed for the GT, or is the pic and description from Ford Racing wrong?

The pic and text on their site are wrong. It's an H-pipe... you can see better detail in the installation PDF linked on that page. (or just click here PDF)

Last edited:

twawsico

Established Member
Not my style but looks like they did a really nice job with the install and the tips are hidden really well.

Nice mod! :rockon:

Need an audio clip/video of it now!

Thanks! I know it's a case of different strokes and all. I'll try to get some audio/video this weekend.

[OFF TOPIC]Unfortunately I have to take it back up to the shop tomorrow to diagnose what's loose and/or failing with the rear suspension pieces I just had installed. I've got a fairly nasty clunk when the drivetrain unloads/loads after having the BMR UCA/LCAs and MGW shifter installed. (Yes, I've read most or all of the "clunk" threads lol). I talked to Van and he said that it is undoubtedly NOT normal, and I trust his expertise... so back to the shop I go. :rollseyes

Last edited:

ljn21

Established Member
Thinkint of buying one of the kits, would love to hear the sound clips. Did you buy any different size rdstrictor plates? I was thinking of trying 7/8" or 3/4".

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Great to see that FRPP finally caught on..:)

I let them know a while back about the photo being wrong and that it might affect sales of the unit negatively. I was told the photo would be changed. Clearly, it has yet to be done.

twawsico, nice move going the extra mile and having the two sections welded. Costs a little more but it is the way it should be done. I'm familiar with your new found side burble and aasume it put a smile on your face upon startup, especially coming from a Boss that had the pipes.

I assume you left the restrictor plate off, yes? Only way to fly in my book and the mod is still subtle.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Crap! I keep telling myself I'm not going to mod my car as soon as it shows up

I'm not going to mod my car as soon as it shows up...

Then you guys keep showing products like this, and I realize I'm completely fooling myself. I've got to do this, but I prefer not to cut up my stock H-pipe. I guess I'll be looking for a spare H-pipe.

twawsico

Established Member
Thinkint of buying one of the kits, would love to hear the sound clips. Did you buy any different size rdstrictor plates? I was thinking of trying 7/8" or 3/4".

Great to see that FRPP finally caught on..:)

I let them know a while back about the photo being wrong and that it might affect sales of the unit negatively. I was told the photo would be changed. Clearly, it has yet to be done.

twawsico, nice move going the extra mile and having the two sections welded. Costs a little more but it is the way it should be done. I'm familiar with your new found side burble and aasume it put a smile on your face upon startup, especially coming from a Boss that had the pipes.

I assume you left the restrictor plate off, yes? Only way to fly in my book and the mod is still subtle.

Yep, I love the burble and the ol' snap-crackle-pop on deceleration. :)

It actually doesn't even come with a restrictor plate with this kit. I would think that you could easily add one of you wanted, but you'd have to fab it or buy one meant for a Boss. The first thing I did with the Boss was remove the restrictor plate, so I don't miss it. This kit also doesn't have the piece between the H-pipe and the side pipes that can be swapped out for an electric cut-out like you could with the Boss. But again, that's not an issue for me since I like it wide open.

Crap! I keep telling myself I'm not going to mod my car as soon as it shows up

Then you guys keep showing products like this, and I realize I'm completely fooling myself. I've got to do this, but I prefer not to cut up my stock H-pipe. I guess I'll be looking for a spare H-pipe.

I told myself the same thing about not modding the car. But that thought went out the window a few thousand dollars ago lol.

BCPD199

Established Member
I told myself the same thing about not modding the car. But that thought went out the window a few thousand dollars ago lol.

Too funny! Love the mod and have been thinking about doing the same to my '14 along with the FRPP mufflers. Sound clip please when you get a chance.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It actually doesn't even come with a restrictor plate with this kit. I would think that you could easily add one of you wanted, but you'd have to fab it or buy one meant for a Boss. The first thing I did with the Boss was remove the restrictor plate, so I don't miss it. This kit also doesn't have the piece between the H-pipe and the side pipes that can be swapped out for an electric cut-out like you could with the Boss. But again, that's not an issue for me since I like it wide open.

I've done a few systems for GT500 owners and used a modified Boss "H" section and the factory side pipes. The only difference between that and this new part from FRPP is that Ford Racing is using a 100% custom "H" section with no flex crossover and the use of bolts instead of studs at the side pipe flanges.

I understand why FRPP wouldn't include the restrictor plates. I mean, why go to the trouble of the install only to cap it off with a plate the almost seals it back up again? If you wanted to add the electric cutouts all you'd need with the FRPP kit are longer bolts - if the ones they supply couldn't handle another ~1/2" from the plate.

Curious - did the shop that did the work cut off the factory "H" section, tack the FRPP H" section into place, then remove the entire system so that they could weld all the way around the tubes and then reinstall it in the car?

twawsico

Established Member
I understand why FRPP wouldn't include the restrictor plates. I mean, why go to the trouble of the install only to cap it off with a plate the almost seals it back up again? If you wanted to add the electric cutouts all you'd need with the FRPP kit are longer bolts - if the ones they supply couldn't handle another ~1/2" from the plate.

Yep. The plates came out of my Boss the first day that I had it anyway. I like it wide open. :)

Curious - did the shop that did the work cut off the factory "H" section, tack the FRPP H" section into place, then remove the entire system so that they could weld all the way around the tubes and then reinstall it in the car?

I don't know because I had to leave to take care of some things and they had this done when I got back to the shop later in the day.

Last edited:

ljn21

Established Member
Just ordered a kit from buyfordracing.com for $780 shipped, thought that seemed like a great price. No affiliation to them or their site. Not sure if they will put it on their site but it didnt show when I was searching around earlier today for the best deal, I sent them an email along with a bunch of others and they were the first to respond and responded within 5 mins of my inquiry, on a Sunday I thought that was awesome! I wanted to use paypal and they sent me an invoice, easy as pie, will ship out to me tomorrow.

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
Dash display with sound video

Some clips. The GoPro sound isn't great, but hopefully it''ll give you an idea of the sound.

Startup - rear

Revs

Side exhaust

In the car - windows down

In the car - windows up

Fantastic!! solved 3 concerns with 1 video, side & rear note and the dash display showing that my mind is not warped and the left side gauge pod is tilted or not level across the top. Yes a little detail but has driven me nuts from the first 5 seconds I sat in the car just as I started it and looked at the car. I don't remember my 07 GT500 being slightly off on the left gauge pod top. May have been but I didn't catch it the first time I sat in the car and started it. Call me a little too fanatical but a level/symmetrical from the driver position. Anyone know if the 07 was the same way?

Users who are viewing this thread