Frustrated Beyond Belief

silvercoffin

Established Member

I dont know what to think. Right after a cluch install 1 1/2 years ago I started having trouble getting into 4th.. Would shift into 2nd from 3rd real easy.

I tried a new clutch hoping that was the problem... (cltch #3) I still had the 4th gear issue at the track...on the street the trans just felt sloppy but I started to have an extra bump in 2nd real bad until the cara warmed up with the 3+ clutch..

I decided just to get anew trans... and another new clutch spec 2 Now 2nd gear still feels weird...third is ver hard to get into quickly at high rpms and 4th still feels funny... I think all the gears feel bad on and off which leads me to wonder if I ever needed a new trans or clutch or if something else is messed up...ike the fork...it has never been changed

I have an adjuster and I am going to try to really tighten it up...but with just less than 1/4 inch play in cable it wont shift... JDM said no slack but not too tight so I am going to try that but im afriad of frying the clutch by having it too tight....

Oh well if I fry the clutch then someone will have to take it apart and check everything out...so Ill do that At jdm day friday.

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

Im wondering if that LDC Freeplay kit could be causing a problem.

I dont understand what the point is of the freeplay kit if the cable shoiuld be ajusted (according to JDM and MMFF MAgazine) so that there is no slack in the cable and so you can pull the cable back and forth half to one inch. Whats the need for the LDC Kit if its wrong to have that much freeplay.

Im taking the LDC spring off and seeing if that makes any difference on friday at jdm day at etown. Along with really tightening the cable up as dscribed by JDM and the MMFF Mag article

04torchred

Established Member
A trans in these cars can feel bumpy when cold if the fluid hasn't warmed up enough. Mine will feel like it catches going into second gear when the car is cold and the weather is fairly cold out. I usually only have issues shifting the car when my adjustment is out.

silvercoffin

Established Member
yeah

I know, but mine hasnt always done this and its more than a bump. Its like a couple of bumps...but not really a grind..

Im telling you...when I mess with the fork...pull it in and out...in one of those positions it frees up the forward and back movement and in another it locks up the forks movement front to back.. Seems like just hitting a bump on the road would cause it to shift int or out causing sloppy shifting and probably the force of drag racing would mess with it too.. Even just hitting the clutch real hard racing...

Then there was my mechanic mentioning that the fork was hitting the inspection cover. yesterday he said that its just a flimsy piece of metal and blamed the cover, but why would the fork suddenly be out far enough to hit the cover?

Also there is the chirp I hear now everytime I puish in the clutch.. i doubt it bad enough to get a shop to take it apart.. Ill beat the hell ouit of it and make it break....then they can pu tin my new fork. :shrug:

I have to break it so a different shop will actually take it apart and not dirve it on the street and tell me its ok.:fm:

Ive been FORKED!!! over and over again... I want to be able to get my car down the 1/4 mile without being embarassed lol

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Im wondering if that LDC Freeplay kit could be causing a problem.

I dont understand what the point is of the freeplay kit if the cable shoiuld be ajusted (according to JDM and MMFF MAgazine) so that there is no slack in the cable and so you can pull the cable back and forth half to one inch. Whats the need for the LDC Kit if its wrong to have that much freeplay.

Im taking the LDC spring off and seeing if that makes any difference on friday at jdm day at etown. Along with really tightening the cable up as dscribed by JDM and the MMFF Mag article

Let us know if you still have problems after removing our kit. From the way you are posting, I think you are grasping at straws without a clear idea why you are having the problems. You need to define each problem and figure out how to test each issue to narrow down what is causing them. If you can't figure it out, bring it to a pro and let them diagnose.

The purpose of the LDC clutch freeplay correction kit is to add a spring to help stop the pedal flex at the top of its travel which comes from removing the stock quadrant and spring. A side benefit of the LDC kit is that it helps keep the TOB off the clutch fingers. The LDC kit does nothing as far as adjusting the clutch cable. As mentioned many times on this and other sites, the correct freeplay in the cable is approx. 1/8". Good luck.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Im not putting down your product I just dont see the need for it if when adjusted properly there is very little if any free play in the pedal.

I adjusted it tonight without the spring. WIth no slack in the cable but about an inch of play back and forth there is just a 1/4 inch or less free play in the pedal.

I am talking about the clutch fork moving into and out of the bell housing slightly. Although no one has looked at it, some people including the guy who did the work for me say its normal.

Yes I am guessing because the car feels ok to shops on the street. I know it wasnt always this way, but its not bad enough to get someone to work on it. Only at the track shifting fast and at high rpms does it really become a serious problem.

Still my car did not double to triple bump into 2nd gear when it was new and 3rd didnt feel like it bumped into something before going in.

All the gears are inconsistant. Sometimes like butter sometimes sloppy like something is in the way.

I am going to call JDM tomorrow and ask if one of their guys can drive my car at the track at jdm day. That way they will see what im talking about and in the spring when they can actually fit me in they can check out the clutch fork. I really think that is the problem.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
im afriad of frying the clutch by having it too tight....
If the clutch slips some after a hard shift then I'd say it's too tight. I still think your shifting problem has something to do with the clutch. You're on the right track, you'll get it straightened out pretty soon I bet.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yeah well the 2nd gear thing...not the usual slop but this almost grind until it warms up bit and then still sloppy...started after the 3+ and spec flywheel this summer. Thats when I still had the stock tranny. Then I got a new plate for the spec flywheel and anotehr new clutch along with the new trans and I still have the 2nd gear thing...

I think it is just more obvious in 2nd and 3rd because you use them more often...but that all the gears are randomly sloppy...bumping into gear.

I'm going to JDM day wit the clutch cable nice and tight...and if that doesnt work IM trying to get one of their guys to drive it to confirm something isnt right.

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Sounds pretty dumb but do you have really thick floor mats that get up under the clutch pedal, or do you have really big feet or drive with boots. Sometimes you have to make sure that clutch is pushed in ALL the way for it to disengage. I had some notchy shifting when I got my cobra new. I put in a quadrant and adjuster and all the problems went away. I wish I could help you more.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I like wearing light sneakers when I race..

The mat I have thought about but never tried..wouldnt hurt to try it. Good idea.

My real frustration is how I cant find someone who will do what I want when I take it somewhere.. I have to find a shop that will take my money to pull the clutch replace the pilot and throw out bearing and put in a new fork...while they are at it inspect the clutch and flywheel..

They drive it say its ok and wont work on it. The guy I was using wont except the possibility that it could be the fork. He is sure its ok..

Even on the street the car doesnt shift like it did for years. It real slppy. I have had it since it was new so I know...

Thats whats frustrating and pissing me off.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
A trans in these cars can feel bumpy when cold if the fluid hasn't warmed up enough. Mine will feel like it catches going into second gear when the car is cold and the weather is fairly cold out. I usually only have issues shifting the car when my adjustment is out.

Mine is exactly the same. When it's cold 2nd feels bumpy...I can feel the gears splining. Once it is warmer, 2-3 minutes of driving or less, it's better. I replaced the whole stock set up with a LFP package with the Fidenza DFX 26 spline and a steel retainer. Also installed the Micro-click firewall and matching quadrant, filled it with GM syncro mesh. Still the same but better. I just hate the chatter if you ride the clutch ie, stuck in traffic. My old Term shifted like a baby all stock down there. I owned them both for a few months together and was very tempted to swapp out the trany's. Never did and the car has been sold. I DO NOT have a problem at the track however. I have never missed a gear or ground gears. With the other car I did from time to time. Go figure :shrug:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
It's pretty common for a manual trans to not shift smoothly until the fluid reaches operating temp. That's why a lot of guys experiment with mixing different types of fluid/gear oil together trying to find a happy medium. However these shifting issues are going to be more pronounced if the clutch is still grabbing a little in between shifts. If it was me, I would put a stock clutch back in if all else fails. It may only last 10K but at least you won't have all the other BS.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I am thinking about getting another clutch and flywheel and having someone else...maybe JDM put it in for me next season. Thats the only way I can also get someone to put in a new fork and check everything over.

I had nothing like this with 2nd gear until switching to the spec clutches and flywheel. It was never like this before. ALL THREE TRANSMISSION HAD THE SAME 2ND GEAR ISSUE.

I put in the Steeda quick release today. It feels much different in pedal feel compared tothe double hook i had before. A bit harder to push down but I like it. I also tightened up the cable so that you could only flex the cable at the fork half an inch. Then I took it out and floored a few times to see if the clutch would slip and it didnt. I got to 6000 rpms a few times in 2nd gear and got it right into 3rd...

I wont really know until I get back to the track but maybe clutch adjustment is still a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread