FS: 10 row Upgraded Intercooler

01GT5.4

Established Member
I just bought this intercooler off ebay because mine was leaking but when pressure testing my old one, i found it was la gasket leaking between the intercooler and mid-plate. So now i have an extra intercooler laying around. I will take pictures of the new as soon as it comes back from being pressure and leak down testing. Like i stated up top it is a 10 row intercooler from 01-04 but i am sure will be a great upgrade from an 99-00 with matching late model lower and drilled blower to fit both versions. Asking $350 shipped anywhere in the states

Last edited:

fdx

Established Member
whats going on o1GT5.4? YA KNOW WHAT I HAVE THE SAME OL PROBLEM. MY RES. WAS EMPTY I PUT WATER BACK IN IT AND THE TRUCK WAS STUMBLING, SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS MISSING IM GUESSING THE INTERCOOLER IS BLOWN IS THAT WHAT UR TRUCK WAS DOING?

01GT5.4

Established Member
I dont know what happened this time but coolant level hasn't gone down, just idled really rough. So i pulled all the plugs and it wasn't any of them. So i did i compression test and i got 180 all the way around. So i heard air leaking from around the intercooler fead lines so i know something had a leak. I have already had three 9 intercoolers fail on me so i went ahead and bought the 10 row off ebay. When i took out my old one out i sent it to get a leak down and pressure tested while the new one was in route. Now i just get it back and it tested fine, so now i have an extra intercooler heading my way. I may just keep it untill this one does kick the bucket but if someone is in need of one then i will let it go for what i paid for it.

Have you pressure tested yours yet? You can fab something up to test if it leaks with parts you have laying around your garage. Before you pull everything apart try putting a gauge in 3/4" hose on the inlet side and an quick air fill in a 3/4" hose on the outlet and put 10-20 psi on the interccoler. Check back after an hour if any air pressure dropped and its not leaking around you homemade leak down tester then it quite possible your intercooler has a pin hole leak.

Last edited:

fdx

Established Member
Funny you say that because my truck was idling rough after I noticed my res. was empty and refilled it. Well when I refilled it n drove it around the block it was running rough and when I returned to the house I noticed no fluid leak but that all the fluid in the res was gone.I wish I could do that fluid leak your telling me about seems like a good trick but I dont have the gauge nor a air compressor. Do you still have the intercooler?

01GT5.4

Established Member
If your reservior is empty and its not leaking from around the pump nor your heat exchanger it probably leaked into your motor. I blew up 2nd motor from an intercooler that failed in the middle of a pass i tried to ride it out, but it costed me a motor because by putting a hole in a piston and bent a rod. Try to add water again then turn the key on but not running for 10-15 mins and look for any leaks of water dripping down anywhere. Do you have a catch can? that right there will tell you if water is in or around your blower.

Yes, i do have the intercooler but i am getting tired of looking at it in the garage! Price one new they are $1130 retail but $860 at cost. I got a good deal on this one so i figured i woudl use it!

fdx

Established Member
I Will Try That Tomorrow. I Know That Is Whats Cause The Truck To Ping When It Gets Hot Because Up Until This Happened The Truck Was Running Awesome So It Has To Be

01GT5.4

Established Member
That "ping" may be detonation and will kill your motor in NO TIME. Good luck i hope its just something small. Let me know in a day or two because i am going to put it back on ebay soon

Users who are viewing this thread