FS 98 Mustang GT Track day car

Shakes_26

Established Member
1998 Mustang GT Track day car
61,310 original miles ( 9,310 on new motor)
Black/no interior
5 speed
$7100 located in 33487 zip code

The car is heavily modified for open track use, it is very well sorted out and extremely reliable. It has proven to be very easy on consumables as well due to the light weight. It has no creature comforts, it does have a clear title (in hand) and could be registered, but that’s between you and your DMV.

Why am I selling such an awesome car? I have an opportunity to trade up but I would need to sell this car first before that could happen. I have modified it from the date I took delivery (2005/2006) to its current state and tried to document it as accurately as possible.

**Warning**

No interior, NO A/C, Stereo, airbags, back seat, trunk interior , door panels, carpet, center console, dash gutted, doors gutted (door crash bars and all metal still in place), no door glass, ¼ side windows replaced with lexan panels. Exterior, side skirts removed (come with car), antenna removed. Paint is great for a track car, if you want a show car, this isn’t it.

The Good

Corner Weights
• 3/25/2011, ½ tank of fuel, passenger seat installed
o Overall weight- 2884# w/o driver, 3144 w/driver
o LF = 937 RR = 656, RF =850 LR = 701, cross weight 49.33%

Engine

• Installed and tuned by Livernois Motorsports NEW (0 miles) 2002 GT crate engine installed @ 52000 miles
o Retuned with SCT chip by Scott Beer (ex Diablo Lead Tuner), 274hp/320rwtq Dynojet. This was several years ago and I no longer have the chart.
o Other items installed with the engine:
o BBK LT headers/Catless X pipe
o Borla Mufflers/45deg angled dumps
o Steeda A/C delete kit
o FRPP 19lb injectors
o K&N FIPK cold air intake system
o PPI 70mm throttle body and plenum, polished inside of casting.
o Steeda Underdrive pulleys (includes new harmonic balancer)
o New T-stat, Ford OEM, new Radiator cap, Ford OEM

Drivetrain

o Stock rear-end rebuilt @ 45000 miles by Varsity Ford
o Torsen T-2 .8 differential
o FRPP Aluminum driveshaft
o 3.73:1 ring and pinion
o Steeda Triax with Comfort Pro handle, and custom offset adapter to raise handle
o MM firewall clutch adjuster & quadrant
o Brand new T-45 installed at 55,500 miles on 5/9/06
 Rebuilt this T45 replaced the 3-4 main shaft, new synchro, forks, blocking rings, etc.
 Spare T-45 complete goes with car at asking price (needs rebuilding)

Chassis

o Steeda 5-link 2 installed by Livernois Motorsports
o Steeda rear LCA, aluminum
o MM Subframe connectors
o Steeda Adjustable rear sway-bar (no longer on car, but comes with)
o Added/replaced/updated:
 MM K-member
 MM offset tubular control arms (delrin)
 MM lower steering shaft (no rag joint)
 MM offset rack bushings
 MM bolt through bump steer kit
 MM 4 bolt Caster Camber plates
 MM Front/Rear Coilovers (450#/325#)
 MM Race valve 3 Bilstein strut and race valve 2 shocks
 03 Cobra Front Anti Sway bar (no rear bar) w/urethane end link bushings
 MM Front swaybar relocation kit (to accommodate offset control arms)
o Front tie down eyes and rear RennTech tie down points makes trailering/tying down the car so much nicer.
o Front and rear tow straps
o Front bumper is windowed to remove ~10#

Brakes

o Cobra R Brembo 4 piston fronts using Hawk DTC70 pads (new 2 track days)
o FRPP Cobra OEM rear brakes using Hawk DTC60 pads (new 2 track days)
o Motul RBF600 exclusively used, flushed 5/2012
o Front cooling ducts 3” silicone hose with fog light opening adapters
o Rear cooling duct hoses
o SS brake lines (Goodridge) all around. Rears install 12/2011, front replacements come with car.

Wheels/Tires/Etc

o Steeda UltraLite 17” x 4 on the car with 275/40/17 NT01 tires
o New Timken hubs installed 2010
o Moroso 3” wheel studs installed all 4 corners

Exterior

o 96-98 Cobra Front bumper
o Cobra R hood (fiberglass very lightweight)
o Hood pins
o Side skirts removed but come with car
o Door glass is removed- Fabricated acrylic panels that insert into the door track for trailering/stowage.

Interior

o Gutted, gone. Dash remains a shell with frame and Instrument cluster
o Ultrashield aluminum race seat with pad (Driver side). Seat is hard mounted brackets have some adjustability; back is braced to the rollbar.
o Passenger seat is not included but can be negotiated, I believe it’s a Corbeau or similar.
o 4 point roll bar with additional X brace and harness bar 1.75” .120 wall DOM. This was not built to specific class requirements.
o Driver Harness, 6 pt Schroth cam lock, Date code good through 2012, Shoulder belts taper down to support HANS device.
o Extended dead pedal
o Ford Cobra/style pedal covers
o Autometer tach with programmable shift light and recall
o Autometer Oil Pressure, Oil temp, Water temp 25/8” gauges (electrical). The Oil Pressure sending unit has a bad ground/failed again, needs to be replaced/repaired before sale.
o Lonagacre 17” wide panoramic mirror, mounted to headliner support (top of windshield)
o Momo steering wheel
o Longacre quick release steering wheel adapter

Electrical

o Wire diet throughout car (more to go).
o PC680 Odyssey battery in OEM battery location
o Longacre kill switch mounted in dash- driver/corner workers reach

The Bad/Ugly-ish

The car was involved in an off-track excursion at the bus stop running the 24hr course at Daytona a few years ago. Car + tire wall right side nearly parallel impact. I replaced the right front fender, right door, I fixed all that for about $60 in U-pull it donor parts (+new tie rod from Ford). The rear quarter was just an outer skin damage so we located a LKQ sourced RR qrtr car and grafted it on. The car was checked on an alignment rack and there was no frame/unibody damage. The repair wasn’t perfect the right rear trunk body/trunk lid doesn’t line up perfect. It could probably be tweaked to make it so, but again it’s a track car. The MM K-member and control arms were added later.

photos to follow this evening

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
alot of work that thing looks like it handles like its on rails,but one ? does that motor have cams, those numbers seem wayto high for a stock 2002 gt 2 valve motor or you talking engine crank hp? no way a 2 valve gt with just intake exaust puts down 274rwhp lol it would need cam and full bolt ons, or mild heads cam to do that they put down around 220-230rwhp stock @ most 260 @ crank

Users who are viewing this thread