FS:gauging interest in my '96 Mystic Cobra

MHISSTC

Established Member
Thanks to everyone for their interest in my car.
I've made a few additions here based on the questions I've received. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

I'm located in Goodland, KS and have a '96 Mystic Cobra with 21k miles (Mystic #374, Cobra #4489, born on 2/20/96) that I'm considering selling to fund my future wheel-to-wheel racing efforts. I am the third owner of this car. The first owner bought it for his kid for high school graduation. The kid didn't like it, co they traded it in on a Porsche when the Cobra only had 150 miles. The second owner's wife saw it on the lot and loved the color, so they bought it. I bought it from the second owner who was selling it on consignment at the local Ford dealership in February of 2000 at 14,500 miles.

The only modifications I've done to it, which can easily be undone if so desired, are the addition of a stainless steel harness bar with fire extinguisher mount and extinguisher and 2 Schroth 4-point harnesses. If you're not familiar with these harnesses and harness bar, here's the scoop. The harness bar attaches between the two upper seatbelt mounting points and has secondary bars that attach to the lower outside seatbelt mounts. My bar is nearly identical to this one: harness bar My Schroths are mounted directly to the bar. The factory seatbelts are still intact and are usable for everyday driving. I found the Schroth harnesses to be invaluable in keeping me securly in place on the slippery leather seats during autocross and open track events. Included with the car are the original dead Ford battery and cover along with the original headlight bulbs. Upgrades include a set of Ford rear floor mats, an Optima red top battery, blue halogen healight bulbs, K&N air filter, non-directional '99-up Brembo front rotors and '99-up front brake hoses. Brake pads are PFZ in front and either stock Ford or Hawk HPS rear pads...I can't remember which are in there right now. I also have a set of brand new in the box Brembo rotors for the rear that haven't been installed. The cooling fix has not been done on this car...so the original honeycomb grill, radiator, and radiator baffles are all still intact. All else on the car is directly from the Ford assembly line.

Yes, I have autocrossed and do currently open-track this car. It has been driven to it's limits, but has not been abused. That said, I did manage to cook the original engine a few years ago while doing an open track event at Pikes Peak International Raceway (RIP!) near Colorado Springs, CO. I think there was an oiling issue linked to sustained high-G turns. I never tore down the engine to find out what happened. I still have the original motor and I'd like to include it and all it's related bits with the purchase of the car. At the time I had the local Ford garage perform the motor swap for me, Ford was giving a $2500 credit for the motor as a core!!! They also replaced the clutch and pressure plate and resurfaced the flywheel while it was apart. That original motor was replaced with another stock '96 Cobra motor out of a salvage '96 Cobra. It performs just like the original motor before I cooked it. The replacement motor had 50k miles on it at the time of replacement, which was done about 1000 miles ago. Both of these motors have the preferred Campagnalo block castings and Teskid forged cranks.

I've always parked it covered in a heated garage. The exterior and interior still look great, but there are a few flaws in the paint. I believe the few flaws on the top surfaces are from bird droppings that occurred when the previous owner parked it uncovered in their barn.

Included with the purchase of the car would be the Evolution 4 car cover with cable and lock, 2 factory service manuals including the electrical and vacumn manual, and a couple of stock factory Ford rubber clutch and brake pedal replacement covers. I also have the SVT documention on the car including the build certificate and letter about the Mystic paint. I had the original selling dealership (O'meara Ford in Denver, CO) recreate a window sticker for me. I also have a fresh signature sticker that goes with the original engine should anyone desire it to be rebuilt back to original...which is what I had planned to do and why I kept the original engine. I also have the '96 Cobra promotional poster that has been professionaly framed, dealership brochures, technical data card, several automotive magazines with articles about the '96 Cobra, and misc. die casts and plastic model.

I've probably forgotten a few small things, but thought I'd throw it out there to gauge interest. Let me know what you think.

Below is a picture taken on October 1, 2006 of me in my Cobra getting ready to take a student out for an orientation run at the Motorsport Park Hastings facility in Hastings, Nebraska. I was not originally going to include the gold rims and well worn Kumho Victoracers with the sale of the Cobra, but I'm willing to negotiate.

I almost forgot...I have the BFGs that I replaced with a set of Kumho Ecsta 712s when I bought the car. From the date codes and wear on the tires, I am VERY confident that 3 of these 4 BFGs were the original tires on the car. I believe the 4th tire was a replacement since it has a date code that, if I'm remembering correctly, would indicate it would have come on a '97. The Kumho 712's currently on the car are at about 50%.

I may also be able to deliver the car within about a 250 mile radius of Goodland. East/West on I-70 that covers the Denver metro/Colorado front range area on the West to the Salina, KS area to the East. North and South delivery distance may be a bit less since there is no nearby North/South Interstate.

Rough price?
How about $15,200 for the whole shootin' match?

small009.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread