Fuel filler neck damaged?

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
The car: 2004 Mustang GT ...pretty much all stock right now

So I had to pass emissions but kept getting a bad fuel cap light. The cap that wold not click when tightening so I replaced it with a new cap. This new cap does not click either...

Well knowing I have to drop the tank to do the fuel pump when I start on my Tork Tech install I really tried to turn this cap ...well it kind of felt like something slipped. Does it sound feasible that there's some joint in the neck that let go?

Sorry to sound so much like an idiot with basic concepts but this is only my 4th Mustang and 1st one I'm actually doing significant work to ...still a bunch of learning to do

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
IIRC, there is only 3 bolts that hold the filler neck in place up by the cap. You can see them when you open your fuel door.

From there on its a solid tube that bends into the side of the tank. (you have to replace the grommet when you drop your tank)

Make sure everything looks to be in place, and tightened properly, and look at the threads where the cap screws into. Make sure there are no obstructions.

93cobra1852

How did u make out with ur tork tech install I'm abt to start mine when I purchase the rest of the cobra parts I need

Sluggie24

Established Member
The cap on your car is a single click type that locks the cap onto the neck to seal. When you say it wouldn't click do you mean it wouldn't turn clockwise once inserted at all? Could you just pull it back out? Did you replace it with the correct type of cap? (There are over a dozen different fuel cap designs out there)

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
I appreciate the responses and unfortunately I haven't looked at the car since it was snowboarding season until tonight when all the mountains around me closed.

After hearing that the tube isn't sectioned between the tank and the actual end I assume my replacement cap was also bad (not that uncommon I hear).

As for the person that asked about the Tork Tech build I haven't started on it yet. I need to put a clutch in it that will hold up to the build and get at least 500 miles on it before I start the build. Sorry I'm not much help there, just been parts collecting all winter

Users who are viewing this thread