Fuel Filter Replacement

KRS

Established Member
I read a thread on another forum that recommended frequent fuel filter replacement. Since I had my car on jack-stands for a UCA replacement I figured that I might as well remove the fuel filter too. After I removed the filter I poured the fuel remaining in it into a dish, I was surprised to see how dirty the fuel was in the inlet side of the filter. My car is a 2011 with 15k miles. I also did a not so technical test, there was next to no restriction when I blew lightly through the new filter but a noticeable restriction when I blew through the old filter (I let the old filter dry before I blew through it).

image.jpg

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Yikes! Mine is a 2011 with 21k and never changed. Is there a good "how-to" out there? I remember reading about it a long time ago, and thought it required a special tool...??? Lastly, what fuel filter did you use and where did you get it?

THANKS, a picture really is worth a thousand words....

KRS

Established Member
I removed the plastic panel that runs along the driver side subframe and then made sure there wasn't any pressure in my fuel system. There are green buttons on the line that connects to the filter, I just pressed them in and they released. I used an OEM filter from my dealer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 835
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 882
Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
WOW, that looks too easy to be true! Great. Just to make sure I got this right, you did not need any special tools to get it off? I wonder if I could order that filter on-line...? Going to the dealership has about the same appeal as going to the dentist for me... I know I need to go, but hate being there and can't wait to get out...

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Sorry for being such as ask-hole, but to depressurize the system, what did you do? I replaced my injectors last weekend and ended up with a few rags full of fuel. I think the solution is to pull the FI fuse and run the engine until it dies.... right? Thanks again.

KRS

Established Member
No special tools were needed. The plastic panel is a bit hard to take off on the front, but you could leave the front in place and still get he filter changed without any issues. My car had been stitting for a week so there wasn't any pressure in the system.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
OK, finally got around to this, car has just over 21k miles. I never did get that plastic cover off, I did remove the 2x 10mm bolts and 2x 10mm nuts. Pulled it off the plastic "post" in the rear, but did not get the rear plastic button removed. The real issue looked like the front where the subframe overhangs the plastic. Not sure how to get this removed, but it flexed enough to get to the filter. The filter is surrounded by a strap. Instructions I found on-line did not mention this, but I loosened that 10mm bolt holding the strap to the filter.

I pulled the two plugs in the trunk. Note for total amateurs like me, these are on the rear-most part of the car, on the inside wall where the tail lights are mounted. I was looking for something on the trunk "floor" and ended up removing the air compressor for no reason. I am also not sure if both plugs needed pulled, but I did....

Interesting, my car would not fire up at all with these pulled (???). It would turn and turn, but not even a blip. I had it running the day before. Is something wrong???

I then squeezed my way into the filter through the plastic shroud. The quick connects are cool, not too hard to push DOWN on them then pull the lines. I tad tricky since the lines are in there tight. Of course, gas came out all over the place and I still reak like fuel... man cologne I suppose.

I checked the old filter. Some black cloudy fuel rolled out of the entrance side, but nearly like others have shown. Once it dried of gas a bit, I blew through the filter. there was VERY little restriction, if any, compared to the new one. I would say that my filter was FAR from failing. I guarantee it could have went 10k or more miles without a problem. No worries, cheap insurance, but on my ride, this was not necessary.

After reconnecting, it fired right up. No idea....

It's done. Thanks to Barspen for the links and part#.

nxhappy

Established Member
curious.....what is the ford recommendation on the change intervals ???

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Real world for max performance, 15,000 miles for both. 30,000 is waaayyyyyy too long of an interval.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Real world for max performance, 15,000 miles for both. 30,000 is waaayyyyyy too long of an interval.

My air filter (factory) looked pretty nasty by 20k miles, but I can assure you the fuel filter was fine. Why not replace a $12 part every 15k, but unless your gas station is using tanks installed in the 1950's, I think you are fine with a longer run. If there is scientific evidence otherwise, bring it on!

Black Sex

Established Member
Does anyone think all that dirt could possibly be partly due to our cars having no gas cap? I can't imagine the seal on the door keeps all the dirt out.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Does anyone think all that dirt could possibly be partly due to our cars having no gas cap? I can't imagine the seal on the door keeps all the dirt out.

Exactly why I installed a locking gas gap, plus I don't want just anyone having access to my tank. About a 35 dollar part from ford, money well spent to me.

nxhappy

Established Member
Exactly why I installed a locking gas gap, plus I don't want just anyone having access to my tank. About a 35 dollar part from ford, money well spent to me.

also prevents people from stealing gas.

KRS

Established Member
....but unless your gas station is using tanks installed in the 1950's, I think you are fine with a longer run. If there is scientific evidence otherwise, bring it on!

I was surprised how dirty mine was and that it had restriction. I was thinking along the same lines as you, then I remembered that freighters, pipe lines, and tank farms are all steel. They would also be more prone to rust in areas that have higher humidity and run 10% ethanol. So some of the issues could be geographic.

Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I was surprised how dirty mine was and that it had restriction. I was thinking along the same lines as you, then I remembered that freighters, pipe lines, and tank farms are all steel. They would also be more prone to rust in areas that have higher humidity and run 10% ethanol. So some of the issues could be geographic.

For sure, one of the major issues in the USA with groundwater is LUST (leaking underground storage tanks), so no question junk can also get into the fuel. However, I would have guessed that the gas stations would also have some kind of filter at the pump.... no? The ethanol corrosion is very interesting, are you suggesting because the ethanol is water soluble whereas the petrol is not? I never thought about that, but it makes sense...

Users who are viewing this thread