Fuel Gauge? Check engine light after Fuel flow issues?

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Checking to see if anyone ran into this before. I was at just under a 1/4 tank of gas on Saturday and was driving to the gas station to fill up. I had 170 miles on the tank. Anyways i was driving and the gas light came on, dinged, and the car sputtered. I tried to start it again and it sputtered. It felt like it was out of gas. Anyways I coast to a side road, let it sit a few. Try to fire it up, it would then bog an die.

Went and got a gas can and a couple of gallons. PUt them in and she fired right up. Went to the station and filled her with 10.5G (+ the 2.5g I had put in from the gas can.) I thought all was well drove it around then back home.

So this morning I went out to fire her up..... it took about 5 seconds on the starter and then the car started ( when normally it fires right up ). After about 15 seconds the check engine light came on.

I immediatly made an appointment at the dealer for later this week. The car ran fine on the way to work, but it still takes 5+ seconds for it to turn over. I flogged it a bit and she is running strong.

Anyone ran into an issue like this?

Thanks,

Last edited:

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Well dropped it off at the dealership this morning, here is hoping they find out what is wrong.

Now that I was thinking about it I put 12.5 gallons in...but isn't our tank 16 gallons total? Something is fishy for it to run out of gas. Hope the fuel pump is not going out. But whatever its under warranty....and to think I was just about to do a tune. Whew glad I did not put it on yet.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
So just got a call from the dealership with two issues (and they need to keep my car):

1. EVAP issues
2. Low voltage to the cam solenoids.

./sigh

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Thanks for the update, first I've heard of this. Good luck!

Ya I was trying to think back for anything I may have noticed and the only thing I can come up with is the day after washing her there was a little gas slick near the fuel door. Like gas got pushed out. Wonder if the evap did that :/

The cam solenoids scare me though, and the low voltage...wasnt even considering anything like that wrong with the car.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Hmmm....Previous Owner Hurt the Motor????

Hope not, but that would be Ford sold me a bunk car. Its a certified pre-owned and what not and was checked out. I am not too worried as I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty and service package for the car.

I did just get an update from the dealership.

They said for sure my EVAP valve is bad, they ordered a replacement and will be here tomorrow. They are going to replace that then recheck everything again and let me know. He said of course this is not related to the cam solenoids but they are clearing the EVAP issue first.

The saga continues heh.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Update:

They replaced the EVAP valve and it cleared the CEL, however its still taking 8 seconds to fire up. They will continue tomorrow. :(

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Next update:

CEL came back on today, they still cannot find the hard start issue.

Tech said they have to refer it to the shop foreman and they are keeping it over the weekend.

Anyone know what that means?

Also at least if the motor is hurt, i left it bone stock, no tune ect....they will have to replace it heh.

Users who are viewing this thread