Fuel injection cleaner

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
Just a quick question. I did a search, and it seems that a bottle of cleaner every now & then is a good investment for our cars. What I want to know is when should you start using a fuel injection cleaner, and at what frequency?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I once had an Acura with 80,000 miles on it that had never seen a bottle of fuel injection cleaner.

I put some in and noticed a difference after about a tankfull of gas. I honestly didn't think it would make such a difference, but it did. My fuel injectors and valves were probably covered with crud after all those miles.

I usually put some in and run the whole tank of gas through right before changing my oil. I heard that some fuel injector cleaner can break down the oil, so I like to change the oil right after I run a tank of it through. Not sure if this is true or not though. :shrug:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
If you use good 93 octane gas (top brands) then you should not use any injector cleaner. Injector cleaners I think are just like octane boosters, I believe they do something to the spark plugs, maybe just change the color, but Ford likes to void motor warranties over that.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Lucas Oil make a fuel injector cleaner. Its about 10 for the bottle, but it last for I believe 100+ gallons of fuel

Rick

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I use Chevron Techron every 10,000 miles. A performance shop owner I know swears it's the best and I've never had a clogged fuel injector so it's worked for me.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I regularly use fuel injector cleaner once or twice a year in all my older cars, and really notice a positive difference. Have seen no evidence of color change on the plugs. In my '97 Mercury van and '93 Ford Taurus, I usually see a 2-3 mile per gallon increase in mileage, and a peppier response from the engine.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
flyn high again said:
I use Chevron Techron every 10,000 miles...
For what it's worth...

When I was in GM automotive school, this was the only GM-recommended fuel injector cleaner. It's the only one I use in my own cars.

03reptile

Established Member
I have used the Motorcraft fuel injector cleaner in my Cobra, V8SHO and all other of my past Ford performance vehicles. I've never had any problems with clogged injectors or driveability issues and my dealer suggested it's use. I put a bottle in the tank about every five or six months.

hmwave

Established Member
I've been using the 'Jet Fuel' stuff, STP I think.
One bottle every few months in a full tank.

Is that a no-no?

Users who are viewing this thread