(Fuel pressure at idle 14psi)Need help fast!!!

whipplecharged0

Established Member
I installed my new pumps lastnight. Took my time to make sure everything was hooked up right. I know why my Gas gauge isn't working, but my fuel pressure gauge isn't working now. I hooked up my diablo to the car to check the fuel pressure and at idle the car was only pushing 14psi????? What in the world is wrong? These pumps I ordered are suppose to be the exact pumps that I am taking out so I shouldn't need a tune for them. These are the walbro 255lph pumps. I can't drive the car anywhere without fear of messing something up. Somebody please give me some ideas. I plan on dropping the gas tank again when I get off work to see if my float got stuck or wedged without me knowing it lastnight when I reinstalled everything.

j-tan

Established Member
Check for any kinks in the fuel lines. What % are the duty cycles running at?

j-tan

Established Member
49% sounds right for idle. Mine runs at 48-50% at idle. Check the lines for any kinks and did you replace the fuel filter? If you didn't might as well do it.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
49% sounds right for idle. Mine runs at 48-50% at idle. Check the lines for any kinks and did you replace the fuel filter? If you didn't might as well do it.

nope didn't replace the filter. it just has me very baffled that it's only hitting 14psi fuel pressure. I did drive the car lastnight just to check a few things. did not get in the throttle at all but when I would leave it in 3rd gear at 30 mph and ease into the throttle the car would fall flat on its face and the fuel pressure would drop to 4-5psi. I took it back to the shop and was letting it just idle. The car would start to spit and sputter at idle every once and a while and when it would do that the AFR would go up to 15.2-16.7

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Well update on the car. Dropped the tank tonight and found one of my hoses crimped and on the same pump that the hose was crimped on the connector wires were backwards. Also, the arm that holds the float broke so we had to rig it back up with a special type of jb weld. Waiting on that to dry right now and then up goes the tank!!! SHEILA will be running strong very soon

Kreep306

Established Member
Jb weld wont hold I've tried that the best best is using very small tie straps crossed around the lever good luck!

TRBO VNM

I installed my new pumps lastnight. Took my time to make sure everything was hooked up right. I know why my Gas gauge isn't working, but my fuel pressure gauge isn't working now. I hooked up my diablo to the car to check the fuel pressure and at idle the car was only pushing 14psi????? What in the world is wrong? These pumps I ordered are suppose to be the exact pumps that I am taking out so I shouldn't need a tune for them. These are the walbro 255lph pumps. I can't drive the car anywhere without fear of messing something up. Somebody please give me some ideas. I plan on dropping the gas tank again when I get off work to see if my float got stuck or wedged without me knowing it lastnight when I reinstalled everything.

Well update on the car. Dropped the tank tonight and found one of my hoses crimped and on the same pump that the hose was crimped on the connector wires were backwards. Also, the arm that holds the float broke so we had to rig it back up with a special type of jb weld. Waiting on that to dry right now and then up goes the tank!!! SHEILA will be running strong very soon

I suggest taking a little more time next time.

The arm that holds the float? I assume you mean the plastic clip on the sending unit and not the metal bar(float arm) that actually holds the float. I would get another sending unit. Do it right instead of having something rigged.

Last edited:

turnpike_cruise

4.10's FTMFW
Established Member
i suggest taking a little more time next time.

The arm that holds the float? I assume you mean the plastic clip on the sending unit and not the metal bar(float arm) that actually holds the float. I would get another sending unit. Do it right instead of having something rigged.

+1

j-tan

Established Member
+2 on taking your time and doing it right. Don't ghetto rig it. You'll be kicking yourself later down the road.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
I suggest taking a little more time next time.

Well considering I SOLD my DD yesterday I had no choice but to do it the way I did. I believe the actual stuff we use is called Wet Weld or something or another. I had to have my car up and running lastnight being it was my only means of transportation to work. If the float breaks and comes off again oh well I'll have to drive around without a fuel gauge until I can order a new unit. Dropping the tank isn't that hard of an ordeal so it won't bother me to drop it again.

Users who are viewing this thread