Fuel problem again!

Russyo

Established Member
Ok I asked this about a week ago and I got some great suggestions, although none of them worked out. This is the situation. I just put my motor back together and in the car after putting on new head gaskets. Well I go to start the car and it will start but only for a few seconds and then dies. The fuel pump primes for its three seconds then I start the car, and then it runs for a few seconds, long enough to burn the fuel that was primed from the pump. I am figuring that the fuel pump isnt staying on for some reason. I am at a total loss. I checked the fuel pump relay and its fine. So what would cause the fuel pump to prime but not stay on after starting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Russyo

Russyo

Established Member
oh, and it doesnt help me at all if I try to rev the motor to keep it going, it just makes it burn the primed gas faster. So its probably the pump shutting off. I do however have two pumps, intake and a t-rex for my vortech. So what do you guys think??

Jwilliams

Resident Pimp
Established Member
all the injector's contected? is there any air coming out of them when u try to turn it over? sounds like something isnt aligned right, might wanna stick ur head under the hood and have a buddy start the car to make sure nothing is leakin.

Rob Smith

Hows the fuel pressure? Just because you hear the pump doesn't mean you have enough pressure, it could be bleeding off fast. I would put a guage on it and check that first. Might have a leak in the system, or a bad regulator.

Russyo

Established Member
Well the system is at around 42lb of pressure as the pump primes. As I start it the gauge drops to zero and doesnt come back up until the car dies, then it shoots right back up to 42 again. And there arent any leaks, I had my brother start it a few times, and we did find a leak from the regulator but we put new rubber seals on it and its good to go again. What else could be wrong. I am still at a loss for ideas. Its seems that the pump truns on, but doesnt get the signal for some reason to stay on. What would send that signal, or not send that signal. Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming!
Russyo

MrMudd

Established Member
I think it is a low Gas tank or a Filter.

had this happen today, i ende up rebuilding the regulator, and blowing air outthe rail witha compressor.

It turned out the same dilema, the pump only recieved the fuel that came back to it (return systerm) when in reality with it sitting on the jacks the pump was not getting the fuel to sustain, it would drop from 40 to 10 psi.

Mayalso wish to check the fuel dampener, basicly a diafram on the rubber fuel line before it goes to the fuel rail. its job is to stabilise the pressure flow. If it iis bad, it can caue this issue of sudden pressure and sudden loss..

atleast thats how it works on my 96 Gt return fuel system for the 01 cobra engine.

Last edited:

Russyo

Established Member
will try suggestions

So you guys think it might just be so low on gas that it isnt working the air out of the lines, so its shutting the pump off after priming. Well I will add some gas tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. The regulator seems to be working, and where is the filter on my cobra. Is it behind the glove box, cause I say a filter looking thing behind there when I replaced the relay. Well any other things that it could be? Thanks for the great tips fellas, I will try them out either today or tomorrow and let you guys know whats up. Thanks again
Russyo:??: :shrug:

Russyo

Established Member
no luck

Hey guys its me again. Well I replaced the fuel filter and no luck. I am going to go to the gas station right now to fill up the tank, I have to take a freakin 5 gallon jug with me to carry the gas back since the cobra wont start. Im pretty sure it wont have any effect on it but I will give it a shot anyways. i will update you guys in abour an hour or so. Thanks, anymore suggestions would be nice to!!
Russyo

Russyo

Established Member
Well I didnt go to the gas station, but I did talk to a dealership and they told me that I may have tripped the theft system so I have to take the car up to Ford and have it reprogrammed. Has anyone else experienced this before. And do I have any other options. Does anyone know a Ford tech that could help me out on the price for that proceedure. I live in Allen, Texas; near Plano and Richardson, and about 20 miles north of Dallas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Russyo

Users who are viewing this thread