Fuel Problem

97SVTStang

Established Member
Help me out guys I am going around in circles trying to figure this one out. I have pretty much come to a conclusion that it is in fact a fuel problem. Anyone who has a fuel psi gauge on there car would really help me out to compare my gauge to another gauge. When I shut the car off the pressure goes to 0 psi within 5 secs, I beleive that it is suppose to hold pressure for a certain amount of time, correct? Ok so I start checking for leaks, none found. Brand new regulator on the car so I dont think thats the problem, plus I chekced it, fuel psi jumps approx 10 psi when vacuum is removed (normal) and there is no fuel dripping out of the regulator (sign of a bad fuel psi regulator). Ok so I start thinkin fuel pump cause I have a long ass crank time. Then I pull the codes out of my car and I get a code for fuel system too rich bank 1, WTF, if the pump was going bad wouldnt I have a lean condition? So now I am thinkin an injector is stuck open cause I smell some gas in my oil. The car spitts and sputters at times crusing down the road and it stalls coming too a light. Plus aroud 3000 rpm the car wants to take a shit really bad, spitts and sputters really bad. Already checked my IMRC's and they are opening as they should. There is one thing that I should of actually done first and that is to pull the plugs and inspect them, that will actually tell me if I am too rich or lean. I didnt do that yet cause of the fuel psi dropping so fast I automatically thought it was a pump or regulator, it has never done that and just started doing this.

Anyone have any ideas, I was pretty damn positive it was a pump untill I got the code for fuel system too rich. Any way to check those injectors without actually taking them out?

Wires are new (Ford Racing), plugs are new but are being checked right now, and the coil packs are new - so please dont throw those out there as possible problems, all the signs are pointing to either a pump or and injector stuck open. Anyone seen this type of problem?

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i have a fuel pressure guage and my car holds pressure for awhile after shut down then gradually lets off. i also have long crank time and sometimes when it does start it idles real low and acts like it wants to die unless i hit the gas so im probably goin to replace my fuel pump soon. what is happening to your car is exactly what was happening to mine after i bought my wms velocity tube and installed it.

Svets96

Established Member
Do you have a bigger mass air on the car? If so that would be another thing to check. When you do pull the plugs what are they gapped to? Stock should be .035. If your running nitrous you should run an colder plug.

97SVTStang

Established Member
1 step colder plugs non platinum gapped to .035. I know all the rules about running nitrous. I usually dont have a problem with fixin and tuning my car casue I am an ASE certified mechanic, but I have seen it first hand that even the best will get stuck sometimes. I just cant figure this one out for the life of me. I could of bet my life that it was a pump cause I have replaced many fuel pumps at work cause they wont hold psi after shutting the car off, but this code for fuel system too rich as me all ****ed up, it should of kicked a code for system too lean. Also I beleive stock gap is around the .055 range.

Last edited:

DSSKing68

Established Member
I am going to go with your original thought...I had the same problem, turned out to be a bad injector. Not a big deal, but a pain in the *ss to get to. Keep us posted on what happens....

Mertz

Users who are viewing this thread