fuel pump issue

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
hey guys.

i've been a little reluctant to post this because i just wasn't sure what the heck was causing the issue. here's a little background on what's happening:

a couple of months ago, i went out to start the car so i could run some errands. i had my mother-in-law with me because she wanted to get out of the house for a bit. we made a few stops, had lunch, returned home. i had no issues starting and restarting the car. i was able to move it that evening for street sweeping the next day.

the next day, after sweeping was over and i wanted to move the car, i would go to start it and it wouldn't. the starter would turn over just fine, but the car felt like it wouldn't catch. i checked for spark, not a problem. checked for fuel and noticed i didn't get a spray from the schrader valve on the fuel line. tried to diagnose for a couple of hours and then wound up having to push the car back on the street.

i did some research into the problem and found that the CCRM might be an issue, as it houses amongst the four relays contained in it, the fuel pump relay. i've heard of this module needing to be replaced in other fords due to various relays failing.

so, i acquired a replacement from an 03 mustang gt. plugged it in, reconnected the battery, turned the key. i heard all of the relays come on, but the car wouldn't start. it would turn, but no start.

frustrated, i focused on the next link in the chain: the FPDM [fuel pump driver module]. luckily, i had pulled the module from the same vehicle that i retrieved the CCRM. now before i swapped this module out, i decided to turn the ignition switch just for shites and giggles. lo and behold, i heard the familiar hum of the fuel pump come on.

after running the car for a few minutes to let it get to warm idle, i shut it down, swapped out the module and then tried again. it started just fine. i repeated the engine start-up for a couple of days, at least 2-3 times a day at varying times to see if the condition popped back up.

well, right before our christmas trip to vegas, it did. car wouldn't start no matter what i did. closed it up and it's been sitting since.

---------------------------------

my question is this: is my fuel pump shot?

could there be something else i'm overlooking? would a weak battery cause the fuel pump not to prime?

i know the FPDM controls voltage to the pump itself in order to increase/decrease flow. i know the CCRM controls the relay to the pump. both of these modules work fine.

i would really appreciate any constructive help with this issue. if i do wind up having to replace the pump, that's not a problem. i just want to know if there's something i haven't overlooked before making that call.

thanks. :burnout:

01yellercobra

Established Member
A neighbor of mine had V6 mustang that had similar problems. It finally ended with the car dying on her while on the freeway. I swapped the pumped and it's still running. Her car threw code though. Something about fuel pump secondary circuit fault.

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
A neighbor of mine had V6 mustang that had similar problems. It finally ended with the car dying on her while on the freeway. I swapped the pumped and it's still running. Her car threw code though. Something about fuel pump secondary circuit fault.
thanks for the input.

the only codes i've received were for fuel pressure in the fuel rails. i've also tested the relay that is on the d/s fuel rail with a working unit from an 03 mercury marquis. both the tester and the original worked fine.

i'm stumped. :(

Mach828

Established Member
Do you have an SCT? Datalog and see what the fuel pressure is at, along with the duty cycle.

Just saw your post on fuel pressure. Common code to come up when you have a pump go bad, because its not capable of producing the pressure its being commanded to.

40mpgH8r

Cobra Newb
Established Member
When I worked at a dealership, an easy way to check the fuel pump (when the driver had a crank but no start issue) was to continuously hit the fuel tank with a rubber hammer and have someone crank the engine. If the car started or give any indication it was trying, then the fuel pump needed replaced.

My instructor always said, "Check for fuel, spark and air." Maybe try pulling some connectors for the throttle body and make the car throw some codes. Just my opinion.

8liter

Established Member
I have a similar issue with my cobra. It will sit for weeks/moths at a time in the shop. It's the fuel pump....what I have done is took a 18v battery from impact and jumper into the plug under the bumper for the fuel pump...that extra voltage knocks it loose and it runs fine afterwards. Probably needs replacing, brushes going south....

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Like stated, I would bet the pump is shot. Unless you hear it hum at start, I would change that first.

Changing the pump is not as difficult as you may think? The gasket around the filler neck/tank was the most difficult thing....and disconnecting the fuel filter.

I messed with mine multiple times. I got so fast I could put the tank with fuel basket already in the tank back into the car with all connections in 11 minutes.

It is honestly easier than many people may think

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You can drop the tank enough to swap the pump without pulling the filler neck or the filter. Though you should swap the filter if it has never been done. You're looking at about 10 bolts and a couple electrical connectors. Do it your self and same some coin.

Users who are viewing this thread