Fuel pump noise

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

So I'm not quite sure if this is normal or not. I have two videos. One with ignition on only, and the other with the car running.

Now the one with ignition on has always made this sound from day one. Fuel pressure before the fuel filter with ignition on is 45 psi, which is correct for my setup.

The second video you hear a slight change in sound, I believe that was when the high speed fan turned on. But overall it seems to sound different.

My a/f at idle is good. I just don't recall hearing this sound, but then again I haven't driven it a lot this year. Why would it sound different with only pumps running vs the car running? And this seems to happen after I've been cruising for 30-45 minutes. But then shut car off, turn ignition on and let the pumps only run it sounds different.

My setup is a fore level 2 with aem 320e pumps. I have the pumps running full time with a dead head set up.

I do have aluminum diff bushings, which seems to make noises even louder.

Ignition on, pumps only running.

Engine running

I will datalog some stuff eventually, but still breaking in the clutch.

Thoughts? Normal? Not normal?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

olympic

Established Member
Only reason I can think of is the pumps get much higher voltage when the car is running

MG0h3

Established Member
I don’t hear anything abnormal BRADY. Pumps sound great key on engine off.

Honestly can’t really hear them running.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BMSTNG

Established Member
Not sure if it's normal or not. I don't have your set up or the pumps that your running, but your right there is a noticeable difference between the key on and the engine running. With the key on pumps sound great, with the engine running it sounds to me like the pumps are struggling. But that could be normal for those pumps, hopefully someone running those same pumps could provide you with some feedback.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t hear anything abnormal BRADY. Pumps sound great key on engine off.

Honestly can’t really hear them running.

To me the sound between the two are different. I'll keep an eye on it.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
Did you try checking the battery voltage with the ignition on and then again with the car running? Maybe your alternator is on its way out and not supplying the correct power to the pumps when the car is running.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you try checking the battery voltage with the ignition on and then again with the car running? Maybe your alternator is on its way out and not supplying the correct power to the pumps when the car is running.
Alternator is fine. It's a Nations. Voltage is 14.2-14.7 with car running.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ok listened again.

Hard to compare since one is inside and one is out.

What’s weird is the oscillating I hear while running; not totally convinced that’s the pumps though.

I’ve had some weird acoustics in my garage that went away when I pulled the car out of the garage.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok listened again.

Hard to compare since one is inside and one is out.

What’s weird is the oscillating I hear while running; not totally convinced that’s the pumps though.

I’ve had some weird acoustics in my garage that went away when I pulled the car out of the garage.

I have it running now. Zero noise compared to after driving it awhile. Fuel pressure, a/f, and voltage check out.

I would hear that same sound after driving awhile and putting it in the storage unit too.

Who knows really. I can't imagine fuel is getting hot running e70, dead head, and not going into boost. I've only been city driving though.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You're going to get two different types of sounds from where you recorded. One only has to go through a thin piece of metal and plastic. The other is going through the tank, floor board, rear seat, etc. Plus the exhaust will add some weird acoustics. Just think when 2 or more loud cars are cruising together. There's a point where some weird ass acoustic hits.

Also, when you're KOEO the fuel is just moving through the lines. No real load. When you start the car there's more of a load on the pumps as the injectors are firing and they're having to deal with cylinder pressure. All in all I'd say since your numbers are good you're good to go. We just tend to notice the little things after doing big jobs or not driving the car for a while.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You're going to get two different types of sounds from where you recorded. One only has to go through a thing piece of metal and plastic. The other is going through the tank, floor board, rear seat, etc. Plus the exhaust will add some weird acoustics. Just think when 2 or more loud cars are cruising together. There's a point where some weird ass acoustic hits.

Also, when you're KOEO the fuel is just moving through the lines. No real load. When you start the car there's more of a load on the pumps as the injectors are firing and they're having to deal with cylinder pressure. All in all I'd say since your numbers are good you're good to go. We just tend to notice the little things after doing big jobs or not driving the car for a while.
Very solid points.

I just drove it for 20 minutes and it doesn't make the same sound I heard yesterday when I drove it longer. Or in the video sitting in the car, it didn't sound like that today. That's just the weird thing.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Very solid points.

I just drove it for 20 minutes and it doesn't make the same sound I heard yesterday when I drove it longer. Or in the video sitting in the car, it didn't sound like that today. That's just the weird thing.

Maybe it's just telling you to drive it more.

Users who are viewing this thread