Fuel pump options?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I need to drop the tank to replace the filler hose grommet. While the tank is down I'm thinking I should replace the fuel pump since the car has 143K miles on it. I've heard that a Focus fuel pump is a decent replacement. Any particular year/model of Focus? Any opinions about other fuel pump options? Thanks!

I forgot to add: Basically stock. FI in the future is a pipe dream unless I buy a winning lottery ticket.

Last edited:

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
If forced induction is a pipe dream, it seems the thing to do is to keep it stock. I say this because I just did a bunch of research on the fuel system upgrade for my 99 Cobra that I just finished building the engine for the purposes of forced induction. The only other thing I can thing of would be to try to score a low mileage fuel tank and pump for a 03/04 Cobra. I've seen them go for as low as $350. The tank does require some modification to fit, but it might be as cheap as an upgraded 99 Cobra fuel pump.

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I'm in the same boat of planning FI in the future and looked into to it too when mine died a couple years ago (and I still haven't moved up the list to the Procharger :D). Since the pump is so cheap, and you can get a warranty on it, and the tank is easy to drop especially if you are planning for this and can run it down to empty. I bought my replacement from Advanced years ago for ~$110. I had to buy a new radiator motor recently and got it from Autozone for 30% off doing a ship-to-home order and they regularly have 10-20% off if you order one now. I also ordered a Motorcraft fuel filter and thermostat from Rock Auto and it was super cheap, shipping was very reasonable, and it didn't take long since it shipped from a DC out here.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even if you think you are doing the procharger, it depends on the power level. If you are going above a P1SC, then you probably need more than the Focus pump and would want to start thinking about doing a return style multiple pump system. Focus and Aviator pumps are cheap, the cheapest thing you'd buy going to a P1SC, so I wouldn't worry about it until then. If $100 is going to break your budget for a blower, you can't afford a blower.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even if you think you are doing the procharger, it depends on the power level. If you are going above a P1SC, then you probably need more than the Focus pump and would want to start thinking about doing a return style multiple pump system. Focus and Aviator pumps are cheap, the cheapest thing you'd buy going to a P1SC, so I wouldn't worry about it until then. If $100 is going to break your budget for a blower, you can't afford a blower.

Do you know which year & model Focus fuel pump is a drop in to a '99 Cobra?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I don't have the part number, but you want the SVT Focus pump. Fits right in the stock 99 hat. I ran one when I had FR500 cams and intake.

Users who are viewing this thread