Fuel pump questions.

Bleedsblue

Established Member
I just got my car a week ago. Last night I put 20 bucks in gas in it after running it low. I pulled away and drove up the street. I felt it buck a little and looked down at my fuel guage and it read under 1/4 of a tank! I pulled over to call my mechanic. The gas guage slowly came back up to 1/2 of a tank but it still felt sluggish. We hooked it up to a guage and it was running 30-32 psi and bouncing a bit. Sould I replace the pump and sending unit? What should I use for a setup? It is a 99 SVT with just bolt-ons. No engine stuff yet. Walboro 255?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm not sure what the idle psi is supposed to be, but it's going to flucuate a little. It's the nature of the returnless set up. I wouldn't run anything like the Walbro. They're not designed to have the voltage change. They're designed to run 100% all the time.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
those specs are wrong.

Max fuel pressure on an NA car should be 39psi.

Fuel pressure corresponds to load not rpm. Basically, you need to measure engine vacuum vs. fuel pressure.

Correct rail pressure is 39-(vac/2)

Bleedsblue

Established Member
those specs are wrong.

Fuel pressure corresponds to load not rpm. Basically, you need to measure engine vacuum vs. fuel pressure.

Ok, so bad pump then? :shrug:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Ok, so bad pump then? :shrug:

Nope.

When a pump goes bad, it just dies.

I would suggest to replace the fuel filter first.

Also, any incorrect level readings is attributed to a bad level sender. The floater arm could be getting stuck or the metal notches on the contact board or could be breaking off.

Check all your harnesses on the back to make sure they are nicely plugged in.

Worst scenario, you can get a SVT focus fuel pump for ~$160 or get a stock OEM replacement pump for about ~$100 (pm me for details)

Visual:

CobraFuelPump_03.jpg

Last edited:

Bleedsblue

Established Member
Nope.

When a pump goes bad, it just dies.

I would suggest to replace the fuel filter first.

Also, any incorrect level readings is attributed to a bad level sender. The floater arm could be getting stuck or the metal notches on the contact board or could be breaking off.

Check all your harnesses on the back to make sure they are nicely plugged in.

Worst scenario, you can get a SVT focus fuel pump for ~$160 or get a stock OEM replacement pump for about ~$100 (pm me for details)

Visual:

CobraFuelPump_03.jpg

$100??? A motorcraft pump is $359 with sending unit.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
those specs are wrong.

I see up to 46psi at WOT when I datalog my fuel rail pressure Quad?

01yellercobra

Established Member
They have SVT Focus pumps with a Ford Part # at autozone for $75?? What?

It wasn't an SVT pump. It was a 2000 Focus. But the car was a V6 Mustang. Didn't need a whole lot of fuel flow. It dropped right in though. Might be worth cross checking part numbers. It wouldn't surprise me if Ford used the same weak pump in all the cars.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Steve at Tousley got me a SVT pump for about $120 IIRC. It may have changed since then. But it did come with the basket and it plugs right it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Steve at Tousley got me a SVT pump for about $120 IIRC. It may have changed since then. But it did come with the basket and it plugs right it.

My neighbor checked on that because I thought it would be a cheaper alternative. $185 shipped to CA.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Ok, so I'm assuming your tuner simply raised your delta pressure (or base fp) to account for injectors that may be a bit undersized.

Since on stock cars, idle fp should be about 30psi and 39 at wot, it seems your delta P was raised 7 psi to 46psi.

Nothing to worry about, but not my favorite way to get around a lack of injector.

Users who are viewing this thread