Fuel punp relay location?

Russyo

Established Member
Fellow cobra brothers and sister,

I am in need of some information about the location of my 96 Cobra's fuel pump relay. I am having problems getting my car to stay started. I just put in some head gaskets and put back my super charger, but now I cant get the car to stay started for more than a few seconds. When I turn the key the pump will prime, and makes the fuel pressure go up to 42lbs. But after being started and running for only a few seconds it will die, no matter what I do. I have come to the conclusion that the fuel pump is not getting the signal to stay on, so it sounds like a bad fuel pump relay. What do you guys think, and can anyone tell me where I can find this relay on my car. I have called Ford and they couldnt tell me anything, and all the books I have dont say where the relay is located. I did check the inertia switch and it seems fine. I am at a loss, if anyone can help then I would greatly appreciate it. All I really need to know is where the relay is located. Thanks for any help fellas!!
Russyo

Russyo

Established Member
fuel pump relay location

Thanks for the help, but I think I will require just a little more information than"its under the hood." Where under the hood, whats it look like, whats it by, what is it connected to? That kinda stuff would help. Thanks
Russyo

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
Do you have pressure when the motor dies? I don't think it's the relay.

Did you put a new mas on the combo?

Russyo

Established Member
the car will only start for a few seconds, if I let it prime first, if I start it two times in a row without letting the pump re-prime then it wont start at all. so the pumps are working, but they are not getting the message to keep pumping. I dont know what else it could be. Any suggestions, or thoughts? Thanks
Russyo
my aol name is Russyo2000 if you want to ask me a direct question.

COBRASVT

Established Member
The fuel pump relay is up behind the glove box on the pass side. Take the glove box down and look up in there and you'll see it.

This problem could also be with the CCRM that feeds the signal to the Fuel pump relay. It behind the inner finder well on the pass front fender. You could have knocked some wires loose.

First thing I would do though....replace the fuel filter (should be done with a s/c anyway) and foremost, check to make sure that the fuel pump kill switch hasn't been tripped in the trunk. Even if it hasn't, undo the connection and jump it to make sure the relay hasn't gone bad.

Let us know....

Russyo

Established Member
thanks, how do I jump the inertia switch that you are talking about. Cause that is how I let the pressure off the lines to do any work on the motor before. Maybe it went bad being unpluged a few times. And where is the fuel filter. sorry to ask so many questions, but the book that I have really sucks, it doesnt give any descriptions and the pictures are really hard to see. Thanks again for the help. What does CCRM stand for, and I will check that stuff later today. So i need to replace the fuel filter, where ever that is. Check the fuel pump relay, maybe replace just for the heck of it, and then check the CCRM for any loose wires. Thanks again for the help. Any other esuggestions would be great.
Russyo

COBRASVT

Established Member
Fuel filter is right in front of the gas tank...you'll need the fuel quick disconnect tools from Autozone...buy a pack of the blastic ones for pretty cheap.

The CCRM is the Constant Control Relay Module. It has some onboard relays and a circuit panel in it that controls fuel pump functions, a/c functions and high speed fan functions. The unit itself could be bad.

The inirtia switch has a connector under it...unplug and simply put a single piece of wire in each hole to jump it.

Russyo

Established Member
ok, can you eplain the jump thing again. Am I to touch to the two wires together? Sorry I just dont want to do anything wrong. And where is the CCRM located. I did find it on my wiring diagram and it would make since that it would be causing the problem, but where did they hide that stupid thing. Anyhow, thanks for the help, you have helped 100 times more than anyone else so far. I appreciate all you have told me so far. Another question, how do I know if the CCRM is bad, sould I just disconnect everything from it and re-plug them all and see what happens, or is there some way to tell that it went bad. Thanks again
Russyo

COBRASVT

Established Member
It's no problem at all dude....feel free to email me as well ...

1. For the inirtia switch, yes, all you have to do is poke a wire down the connector holes to complete the circuit. You wont hurt anything as long as you jump it with the ignition off. But the worst thing that can happen is you pop a fuse.

2. The CCRM is behind the inner fender well of the front left (passenger) wheel. You have to take the wheel off, pop a couple of plastic fasteners and it will come right off. Maybe a screw or two..can't remember. The only way to check it is to measure the voltage coming out of it on the proper wire when you hit the switch....but that shouldn't be to hard since ur problem is at startup.

I don't have a clue which wire or what the voltage should be, but I think it's probably 12 volts.

Here's some more info I used when testing my system, but not sure if it's true for your system on the voltage kick-down, but see if you can find the resister that is mentioned below and check that as well.

Fuel Pump Operation in 98 Ford Cobra

1. There is a relay in the passenger kick panel that opens when the computer goes into open loop and the engine is below 3250 RPM putting the voltage through a resistor in the passenger fender well.

2. It closes again after the engine goes above 3250 bypassing the resistor.

3. When that relay is open, the fuel pump is powered through a resistor that is supposed to step down the voltage, but more importantly the amperage.

4. As a test to see if that resistor is fried, you can pull the kick panel from the passenger side and place a jumper wire in place of the resistor connecting the two Green/Yellow (don't quote me there, just remember the two largest wires that aren't red) wires together.

5. If you still get the 6v back at the fuel pump, you have a voltage drop elsewhere in the circuit. Could be the fuel pump relay in the CCRM is failing (not likely, it normally just works or doesn't, not normally a cause for a voltage drop), or any number of things.

Note: The resistor is in the fender next to the CCRM. The relay is right above the EEC (computer).

To bypass above: I have mine wired directly from the battery with #10 gauge wire and it works great. Just use the EEC trigger wire to trigger a relay that powers the pump from the battery.

mustangdan429

Established Member
2. The CCRM is behind the inner fender well of the front left (passenger) wheel. You have to take the wheel off, pop a couple of plastic fasteners and it will come right off.

I dont know what CCRM is but i know thats you dont have to take off the wheel to get into the pass. kick panel as you said later on. the kick panel is inside the car. sit down in the pass. seat and move your right leg over to the panel on the left....thats the kick panel. take it off. then the fun begins.

just wanted to clear that up...

danny

Users who are viewing this thread