Full Chase with Pit

Machdup1

Established Member
You won’t find a case where a fleeing suspect killed a bystander and somehow the police were at fault.

If you did find a case where the police were at fault, it was because they continued the pursuit when it was unsafe, “forcing” the fleeing suspect to drive erratically.

This is literally the reason that we have pursuit policy, no spike zones, etc. A Supervisor is regularly asking for speeds, traffic conditions, and current location.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

You just said I wouldn't find a case and then said I could find a case, what kind of double talk is that?

For the record, the suspect rammed the officer causing the wreck, the video is crystal clear.

MG0h3

Established Member
You just said I wouldn't find a case and then said I could find a case, what kind of double talk is that?

For the record, the suspect rammed the officer causing the wreck, the video is crystal clear.

I meant you won’t find a case like you are suggesting. Officers aren’t held liable for not acting.

Otherwise, I could sue the cops for every crime that I’m ever a victim of.

However, if an officer initiates a vehicle stop that then turns into a pursuit and continues the pursuit where a reasonable person could foresee it endangering other people and it does, they can end up cutting a check.

We literally get told to cut the lights and sirens and turn around when the person is erratic enough to cross the median of a freeway against oncoming traffic. We could lie on the radio when asked, but that’ll get you fired in a hurry.

The Department/Agency is absolutely NOT liable if some speeding maniac mows down a bunch of school kids.

If we chase this suspect into the school zone where he mows down the kids, we CAN be found liable. Because why was he running? We were chasing him.

Hope that makes sense.

Machdup1

Established Member
I meant you won’t find a case like you are suggesting. Officers aren’t held liable for not acting.

Otherwise, I could sue the cops for every crime that I’m ever a victim of.

However, if an officer initiates a vehicle stop that then turns into a pursuit and continues the pursuit where a reasonable person could foresee it endangering other people and it does, they can end up cutting a check.

We literally get told to cut the lights and sirens and turn around when the person is erratic enough to cross the median of a freeway against oncoming traffic. We could lie on the radio when asked, but that’ll get you fired in a hurry.

The Department/Agency is absolutely NOT liable if some speeding maniac mows down a bunch of school kids.

If we chase this suspect into the school zone where he mows down the kids, we CAN be found liable. Because why was he running? We were chasing him.

Hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, no matter what you do, someone is trying to **** you.

Its the reason I have no interest in careers in Law Enforcement.

If you stop a violent crime, you are evil.
If you stop a speeder, you are a tyrant with a badge (and a racist).
If you explain how it works to idiots on the internet, they argue with you.
If someone calls a cop a hero, other cops tell you he isn't because he didn't follow policy. LOL

Ultimately, smart cops follow department policy and the law, because without that safety net, your career is over.

MG0h3

Established Member
Makes perfect sense, no matter what you do, someone is trying to **** you.

Its the reason I have no interest in careers in Law Enforcement.

If you stop a violent crime, you are evil.
If you stop a speeder, you are a tyrant with a badge (and a racist).
If you explain how it works to idiots on the internet, they argue with you.
If someone calls a cop a hero, other cops tell you he isn't because he didn't follow policy. LOL

Ultimately, smart cops follow department policy and the law, because without that safety net, your career is over.

Pretty much. There’s areas where you can do what needs to be done to get the job done.

Regardless, PIT or not, pursuing at those speeds into a populated area isn’t a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread