Full exhaust? what brand to go with?

Chuckie B

Established Member
I have an 03 GT with a 2.1L KB with flowmaster c/b...cars making 400rwhp and 433rwtq....

i realize with going full exhaust i'll lose some of that torque but gain some hp... i cant find too many video's on the net of american racing or kooks longtubes with o/r mid pipes on our 2v's..

any input, video's of these set ups, or video's of the set up you are running would be greatful. Also if you have hp gains from your set up that would be great.

Thanks,
-Chuck

DaBigBone

Established Member
Why would you lose torque?

Theres so many different options out there with exhaust for these cars. Personally, I have BBK LTs, BBK O/R X, and SLP Powerflow Catback and I love the sound

Chuckie B

Established Member
Why would you lose torque?

Theres so many different options out there with exhaust for these cars. Personally, I have BBK LTs, BBK O/R X, and SLP Powerflow Catback and I love the sound

Would lose torque with a twin screw blower and open exhaust... people say bc of the loss of back pressure and other say the changing in exhaust gas's?. obv dont know this from experience but its what i've heard?

i plan on keeping my catback but do u have a video of ur exhaust?

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If your doing longtubes Stay away from Pypes. Worst fit ever, right up there with pacesetter. Nothing fit right, egr tube was over an inch off and the steering shaft goes through the tubes and hits. Get a quality set. But my set up is the above said Pypes longtubes, their matching H that I welded 2 cats into, and 10 series flowmasters. Sounds the nuts. Good luck man:beer:

Chuckie B

Established Member
If your doing longtubes Stay away from Pypes. Worst fit ever, right up there with pacesetter. Nothing fit right, egr tube was over an inch off and the steering shaft goes through the tubes and hits. Get a quality set. But my set up is the above said Pypes longtubes, their matching H that I welded 2 cats into, and 10 series flowmasters. Sounds the nuts. Good luck man:beer:

Thanks for the info....and yah im looking into a quality set but cant seem to find the video's to hear what brand i'd like to go with...was thinking mac l/t's with o/r prochamber but i would like to hear what the american racing headers sound like on the 2v's

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Mac Long tubes with matching Off Road H/X and your choice of Cat back....I say Borla Stingers :rollseyes:beer:

jagsweb

PaceSetters

I would go with the pacesetters. They are great value for the price, if that is what is important to you.

tobynt

Established Member
I have had 3 different set ups on mine until I found one that suited my taste.

1. First setup: Stock headers, stock cat H pipe, and Magnaflow "Magna Pack SS catback"
(I really liked the way this set up sounded...its was just a little different from flowmasater but still had a chambered muffler growl to it.)

2. second setup: stock headers, BBK off road X pipe, Magnaflow "Magna Pack SS catback"
(The sound of the system changed completely....It was very loud...I really liked that but when I went WOT, it sounded like glass packs on steroids......that was not my cup of tea)

3. Third setup: MAC long tube chrome headers, Mac catted (spun cats) X pipe, and Magnaflow "Magna Pack SS catback"
(This system is exactly what I was looking for, it doesn't sound like any flowmaster set up and doesn't have a glasspack "blow through" sound at WOT...it sounds like a deeper chambered muffler at ideal then ramps up and gets a nice growl to it at WOT with a hint of pop to it.....)

As far as performance goies, I truly can't tell one from the other with my butt dyno so I really stopped being concerned with gaining or losing a 2-6 hp with the setup...At the end of the day it came down to what I wanted to hear when I was cruising or WOT....all of them still laid me back in my seat so I am a happy camper.

Hope that helps you in your search

FoMoCo01

Established Member
Just installed kooks lts, o/r x and slp lm1 on my gt, heres a vid of the exhaust sound

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5NtJ9O7cQPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BT24

Established Member
MAC long tubes with Pro Chamber and borla stingers is my set up and love it.

99black5spd

Established Member
im not runnin a blower but i have bbk long tubes a mac xpipe and flowmaster 3 chamber exhaust which i wanna change but they actually sound really good and dont let it fool you that its cheaper the quality was very good a little bit of a pain to install but overall wasnt that bad....for the money i spent the car sounds awesome. id def reccomend taking a look at it.

Stage 4.6

Established Member

I agree with "2001Bullit" i did a lot of searching looking for best bang for the buck. Purchased the Pypes LTs with o/r H pipe, looked great out of the box, everything after that sucked about them exactly what Bullit describes! i was so upset :mj: Called Pypes and they said: yeah we had a bad batch of these go out?
I purchased mine thru American Muscle and they where awesome with there customer service and credited back every cent of my money!
I ended up getting BBK Chrome LTs with Matching H-pipe.
Did a before and after Dyno. Before w/frpp shorties pypes catted x-pipe and magnaflow side exh. i put down 509hp. With BBKs o/r h pipe and magnaflows it dynoed 514peak 22hp in the midrange with out a tune. With a tune peak numbers sky rocketed too 545hp with a conservative tune due to my fuel pump.

Chuckie B

Established Member
Just installed kooks lts, o/r x and slp lm1 on my gt, heres a vid of the exhaust sound

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5NtJ9O7cQPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Car sounds great!...if you dont mind me asking around what did it cost you between the l/t's mid pipe and installl? or did u do them yourself?....u can just PM me if u dont wanna write it on here

Speedstang302

Established Member
I also bought a set of pypes used off some guy a couple weeks ago and a friend knew him and told me guy went to install those and the primaries were at the complete wrong angle and the collectors smacked into the floor upon putting the motor back up (dropped k member with motor attached for install) and the x pipe obviously wouldn't bolt up. And like stated before, the steering shaft hit reallll hard.

Also my car was traded into a dealership with an o/r mid pipe and in mass they can't resell it that way. So they put a pypes catted one in, sat on the lot til I bought it (approx 2 months) and 3/4 months after I bought it, I was driving down the road and heard a loud bang and saw sparks in my mirrors, somehow the welds came apart Were the tubing came into the cats (from the catback end)

Moral of the story pypes sucks... Lol

I'd recommend anything slp best quality, fitting sounding exhaust in my opinion. Plus those flowmasters are probably hurting your power more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread