Full length vs shorty sub frames

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I put MM FL sub frame connectors on my '03. They definatly helped but the car still had squeaks and rattles. The FL subs probobly weighed over 30lbs too.

I need to get sub frames for my '96. I'm wondering if the weight of the FL's is worth it or if the shorter type subrames that weight half as much and just support the chassis where it's weakest would be sufficient.

9746C

wheelhopper

Established Member
Go full length. The full lenght subs are not that much more weight. They are also an item that should be able to be installed correctly and pretty much forgotten about, so you might as well get the best you can for your money. The cut through the floor types are just not worth the extra cost in my opinion, unless you're building the ultimate race car.

steve121

Established Member
I had through the floor sub frame connectors installed in my R for $350 at a local chassis shop. They did a great job and it made a big difference in the stiffness of the car.

sct12

Established Member
I had a set of mid length and removed them for full length, I felt a huge difference. It is very worth it for the full length.

racer726

Established Member
The weight's in the right place with the full length subs, down low and not too far from mass center... they are also thinner walled I believe than the shorty subframe connectors, so it's not that much difference in weight.

If it still bothers you to add weight, take some weight off the car from an out front and up high location if you can, and you'll feel better about it (any of the following if you haven't already... light weight hood, chop the center out of the heavy plastic Grill Opening Reinforcement aka GOR, AC Compressor elimination, aluminum flywheel, swap cast headers to tubular headers, go with coilovers...) :) Just trying to help.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
My favorite weight reduction (out front and up high)...

battmount1.JPG

CAMELEON

Established Member
For the 96 Cobra, pay close attention to the instructions. The transmission crossmember needs to be modified ( at least mine did ).

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I shouldn't think there's be a difference between the '96, '97 & '98. What is it? :shrug:

I think in '98 the crossmember is in a slightly different location. There is a additional set of instructions for installing the MM subframes on '98's.

9746C

Users who are viewing this thread