Full Tilt Boogie IRS Bushing Kit

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Anyone have any experience with Bruce's bushing kit?

I'm seriously thinking about doing it....hopefully before spring.

Here are a couple of links:

Full Tilt Boogie Racing Homepage

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ystery-cobra-independent-rear-suspension.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...g-kit-w-adj-sway-bar-links-bumpsteer-kit.html

No personal experience with Bruce's kit but I know there are improvement's he made over other bushings that are out there such as a groove in the bushing sleeve to allow grease to penetrate the whole contact area. I have the mm poly subframe bushings and I'm gonna change them for bruce's bushings. The rest of my irs had delrin before bruce made his bushings.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
People sware by Bruce's kit. I have poly's in the basement that I have not installed i 4 years.

Kev, do you think the Bruce's are better than the MM's such to remove them?

TRMNTR

Established Member
So how big of a pain is it to install? It doesn't look too bad probably just time consuming more than anything.

Any tips?

Do you guys just use regular jacks to remove the IRS?

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
People sware by Bruce's kit. I have poly's in the basement that I have not installed i 4 years.

Kev, do you think the Bruce's are better than the MM's such to remove them?

I think the MM's are a great product but Bruce made a couple changes that definately make a difference. There's alot of good info on his site, fulltiltboogieracing.com. He shows where to drill and tap for grease fittings on the upper and lower control arms which is pretty cool.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
So how big of a pain is it to install? It doesn't look too bad probably just time consuming more than anything.

Any tips?

Jack the car up a little, put on jack stands. Remove rear wheels and disassemble the brake calipers from the rotors and hang them off to the side with a coat hanger or mechanic's wire. Pull the driveshaft from the differential but leave it in the trans so fluid doesn't leak out. Disconnect the park brake cables and disconnect the abs sensor connectors. Remove the shock bolt from the lower control arms. Then position a jack underneath the irs and remove the front and rear subframe bolts. Lower the irs and move it so you can remove bushings comfortably. Pm me if you need help.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

Any tips?

I have been told you will need a press and a way to roto-rotor the old bushings out? I guess they do not pop out nice and clean? I ahve no experience but I would simply email bruce or download his install instructions to get a better idea

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I have been told you will need a press and a way to roto-rotor the old bushings out? I guess they do not pop out nice and clean? I ahve no experience but I would simply email bruce or download his install instructions to get a better idea

Drill a bunch of holes in the subframe bushings to relieve pressure, He will lend the removal tool but I made my own out of some long bolts, large flat washers, and pvc tubing that was bigger than the od of the bushing flange. They pulled right out but drilling holes through the bushings took the most time.

TRMNTR

Established Member
Jack the car up a little, put on jack stands. Remove rear wheels and disassemble the brake calipers from the rotors and hang them off to the side with a coat hanger or mechanic's wire. Pull the driveshaft from the differential but leave it in the trans so fluid doesn't leak out. Disconnect the park brake cables and disconnect the abs sensor connectors. Remove the shock bolt from the lower control arms. Then position a jack underneath the irs and remove the front and rear subframe bolts. Lower the irs and move it so you can remove bushings comfortably. Pm me if you need help.

Thanks for the tips. Doesn't sound too difficult.

I think that prior to removing the shock bolt, you put a jack under the lower control arm, remove the bolt, then slowly lower the jack to pull the springs out...correct?

Also, planb, with your current bushings/delrin, how is NVH? Not too bad I hope?

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Thanks for the tips. Doesn't sound too difficult.

I think that prior to removing the shock bolt, you put a jack under the lower control arm, remove the bolt, then slowly lower the jack to pull the springs out...correct?

Also, planb, with your current bushings/delrin, how is NVH? Not too bad I hope?

Yes with the jack on the lower control arm for shock removal. I didn't notice anymore nvh with the bushings but I noticed an increase after the poly swaybar bushings. I noticed more nvh after the new shock mounts that I installed with the coilovers. It doesn't bother me so much though, I will sound deaden the car one of these days.

Jpjr

Established Member
Plan b helped me with mine about five years ago (along with Postban and a few other MCT guys). We dropped the IRS and did everything at once... diff brace and fluid, half shafts, toe bars, delrin bushings, shock tower brace, irs bolt, tires/rims, alignment, battle boxes, and some welding around the subframe (can't remember the name of that mod).

TRMNTR

Established Member
I'm planning to do the bushing kit, LPW diff cover, diff fluid, H&R Race Springs and IRS bolts all at once.

How do you like your setup? How is the NVH factor?

Jpjr

Established Member
I'm planning to do the bushing kit, LPW diff cover, diff fluid, H&R Race Springs and IRS bolts all at once.

How do you like your setup? How is the NVH factor?

I like it a lot, except that my car has been garaged for almost two years. The spring thaw awaits though... i'm going to build her up right. But the IRS is real stout.

Users who are viewing this thread