funny smell = clogged cats?

CobraBri

Established Member
I have ~ 1000 miles on my Cobra now, and because of some posts on this board, I'm a little worried about my cats clogging. My car is a second run vehicle with nothing more than a Densecharger... I've noticed a funny smell after I drive the car...sort of like a skunky burning smell. Should I worry? Is the cat clogging problem a result of Ford's excessive fuel at the top of the rpm range?

BOOOOST

Established Member
You could always run your Cobra hard and then pull over and look for red hot glowing cats underneath. This is best done at dark so you can see them better, though.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBri
I have ~ 1000 miles on my Cobra now, and because of some posts on this board, I'm a little worried about my cats clogging. My car is a second run vehicle with nothing more than a Densecharger... I've noticed a funny smell after I drive the car...sort of like a skunky burning smell. Should I worry? Is the cat clogging problem a result of Ford's excessive fuel at the top of the rpm range?

Should you worry? Perhaps.
Is the cat clogging...... Probably not. It was supposedly the result of frequent start/stops at assembly.

It could be high sulfur fuel - try another full tank of high quality fuel from a popular station.

OverToad

Established Member
Was the smell more prevelent when it only had a hundred miles on it?

Also, is the smell stronger when you run the car hard, as opposed to an easy ride?

If you answer yes to both, then you've got nothing to worry about, as it's a smell we all have. I'm at 2700 miles now, and I still smell it a little, but not nearly as much as when I first got it.

OverToad

Established Member
2700 MILES....You babying that thing..break it in already

Hehehe......I'm taking some classes at ACC this semester, and in case you don't remember what those school parking lots are like, lemme tell you they aren't any place for a prized automobile :bored:

They can ding the hell outa my Yukon, but not my Cobra. Besides, the weather's been shitty, and I don't break out the Cobra unless I really have to ;-)

Besides, I've been going easy on the miles, and keeping an eye out for people modding their cars. That way, if a whole mess of Cobra's start blowing up, I'll know to keep mine stock ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread