Future boss with an n/a 5.8L?

Grant808

Established Member
I know a little bit about 5.4 building, not near as much as I should but a little bit.

It's definitely true that the long stroke of the 5.4 modular is not ideal for high rpm, and even complete race block builds by al papito don't like the high side of 9k rpms so yes that distinction is definitely a valid one against the 8k rpm BMW v8.

That said though, a 5.8l at a healthy and feasible 7000-7150rpms (7300+ is scary on relatively production class 5.4's) could easily make 500hp considering a that the BMW motor is making 414-450hp with only 4.0-4.4L's.

If ford shot for only 86.5hp/L, it could make 500hp safely all day long with a meaty torque curve. If they shot for the same efficiency as the boss 5.0(444hp/88.8hp/L which is unrealistic as that spins 7500rpm) it could make 515hp.

Considering ford has the motor spinning to 7k already in gt500 supercharged specification, it possible they could get an n/a version to spin to 7250-7500 and make 500hp.

Making 500hp n/a in this theoretical 7k+ revving engine is no problem, but designing the right intake and so it doesn't have compromised torque in the useable mid-upper range would be tricky, IMO, without something variable like IMRCs. :shrug: Bench racing is fun, but I doubt Ford will go this way.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It'd be awesome if they did; the maths suggest it could be quite profitable. I'll have to see what traditional boss 302 sales are like. I suppose ford could use computer aided drafting to design an intake manifold relatively efficiently based on the 302's but obviously enlarged in relation to the theoretical 351 motor

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
It'd be awesome if they did; the maths suggest it could be quite profitable. I'll have to see what traditional boss 302 sales are like. I suppose ford could use computer aided drafting to design an intake manifold relatively efficiently based on the 302's but obviously enlarged in relation to the theoretical 351 motor

I don't think they will do the 302 and 351 at the same time. However, the model change over may monkey with this a bit.
I think the bigger issue is that they don't really NEED to do it. The Boss already makes more power than it's competitors, so they would probably be inclined to keep the car the way it is until GM goes after its niche. If the "Z28" comes to fruitition and passes up the Boss power wise, then I think the 351 is far more likely to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread