FWIW--Gas milage / IC Pump

funair02

Established Member
Yes. I went from getting 12-14MPG to 10-11 MPG in couple of months time. I guess it started around November. Now with the 'winter gas' and all the freaking tourists here I though that the traffic was just getting worse and that was causing my milage to suffer.
About 20 days ago the IC pump started to sound like lobster in boiling water...It started to squeak really really loudly. I replaced it about ten days ago and ran the first full tank of gas with the new pump. I just filled up and now was at 13.5 MPG compared to 11 on the tank before. I am thinking that it was bad for a few months and didn't basically tell me it was till it started to whine.

From researching other boards, this IC pump is the same one that Mercedes uses. The Mercedes owners all replace this same exact pump at 50K miles. Im at 58k. Sounds about right :) So at 100k Ill probably need a new one.

Last edited:

Charlie41

SiFi junky
Established Member
how do u know this?

If the pump is not working the Intake temperature will be a lot higher. The computer will pull timing out at higher temps. (Spark retard for ACT) It will start pulling timing on our trucks @ 150 deg. This will mean slower times, and worse mileage.

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread