G-Tech Pro HP correction method

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
OK guys, as I mentioned in a previous thread on the G-Tech Pro, I had an idea of how to callibrate out, or correct for the aerodynamic and rolling resistance losses. I tried it out using my Pathfinder (forgive me, please) and it seems to work. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think.

Basically, I back out these losses by pushing in the clutch and coasting at the end of the HP pull. Upon doing so, there will be a negative acceleration as a result of aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance at this particular speed. Obviously, you'd have to redo the callibration for your individual car. Since the G-tech doesn't print out negative HP, you have to calculate it from the recorded acceleration in G's, (which it does measure). HP = 1.4666*w*G*v/550, which comes by taking the time derivative of the kinetic energy of a moving mass, KE = 1/2mv^2. I can also be done from first principles (def of work and Newton's 2nd law), but this is a simpler starting point. I assume aerodynamic loss goes in proportion to speed to the third power, (which I don't have a reference for, off hand, but that's how it scales.)

Most of the details are in the attached pictures. I will answer questions, however.

Edit: Here was the original thread where this came up.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...19&perpage=25&highlight=momentum&pagenumber=2

Some other comments on assumptions. I'm assuming any rolling resistance also goes a speed to the third power, as does the aerodynamic drag. I may be neglecting other parasitic losses that change when the clutch is pushed in. Also, I didn't do any hard shifts to avoid that G-shock that might come in to play.

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Here's graphs 1 and 2 showing the validity of the HP equation and results of calibrating the G-tech data.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
And of course, you can plot it versus RPM, if you like. Spec for my truck is 170 bhp. It's reasonable that the remaining error is from environmental factors. (It was warm and humid).

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Well...the graphs from the Pathfinder got taken down, but I finally got around to trying this out on my Cobra using the same method. The results are in very good agreement with my dyno numbers, (which are in my signature at the top).

Edit: reattach image

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread