Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Thought this was an interesting read :

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

Dr Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Science said many of these worlds could be inhabited by simple lifeforms. So far, telescopes have been able to detect just over 300 planets outside our Solar System.

Very few of these would be capable of supporting life, however. Most are gas giants like our Jupiter, and many orbit so close to their parent stars that any microbes would have to survive roasting temperatures.

But, based on the limited numbers of planets found so far, Dr Boss has estimated that each Sun-like star has on average one "Earth-like" planet.

This simple calculation means there would be huge numbers capable of supporting life.

"Not only are they probably habitable but they probably are also going to be inhabited," Dr Boss told BBC News. "But I think that most likely the nearby 'Earths' are going to be inhabited with things which are perhaps more common to what Earth was like three or four billion years ago." That means bacterial lifeforms.
Dr Boss estimates that Nasa's Kepler mission, due for launch in March, should begin finding some of these Earth-like planets within the next few years.

Recent work at Edinburgh University tried to quantify how many intelligent civilisations might be out there. The research suggested there could be thousands of them.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Just wait until the next gen of space and ground based telescopes. 100m ground based scopes will be able to direct image terrestrial planets. The 300 exoplanets so far are only the beginning.

Exoplanets are on of my 3 favorite topics in astronomy.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Interesting. Has anyone been watching the Universe series on the History channel? They have dipped into stuff like this regarding parallel universes and whatnot. I personally think that it is a strong possibility of there being other earth like planets, being we still are finding out our own origins. I dont think we will ever really know the full scale of how massive our universe is really, with all that space and information that is yet to be discovered i would say its safe to proclaim that anything is possible.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Go read the bible then come back

Thanks

God bless

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member

Thanks

God bless

Nowhere does it say that God didnt make the Big Bang happen........lol

i know your joking...

Getting historical and scientific information from the bible is like getting an accurate biography of Martin Luther King from the Klan.

Besides, if there were other planets with aliens on it, we would have given them foreign aid by now

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member

Thanks

God bless

Riddler, it seems most of the people on this forum live too close to the airport.

I may be the only person who gets your sense of humor.

Your title under your Username should be "offical pot-stirrer"

bcknblack

PROVERBS 28:1
Established Member
Think about this, God created the heavens and space and millions of unbelievable galaxys in which were are a mear microscopic piece of dust. and you are going to tell me that WE are the greatest creation he has ever created. the bible says God created man in his image. it does not say he did not create any OTHER types of image. Dont get me wrong Im not trying to stir the proverbial pot but honestly look at the violence and the hate and racism and death and famian and suffering that the human race endures and tell me that THIS is what god expected. I am a christian man and i lay my life at the foot of christ. and I believe in the the big bang theory "God created the universe and BANG there it was"

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Interesting but this is all just assumptions and speculation. Until we find something that is. Assuming something exist just because there is a likelyhood that it exist is not science at all. Is there an animal larger than the bluewhale? Is there intelligent life out there? Who knows? I could guess and theorize all day.... :shrug:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Just wait until the next gen of space and ground based telescopes. 100m ground based scopes will be able to direct image terrestrial planets. The 300 exoplanets so far are only the beginning.

Exoplanets are on of my 3 favorite topics in astronomy.

from what ive been reading and watching they new telescope get shot off in 2010 and it looks like 4 boxes that are alined with infered beams and are able to shift in any direction without the use of cables, i thought that was badass

also i can surely say it will be 50 years before we find anything like earth, we are wayyyyyyyyyyy to far

Users who are viewing this thread