Gap between TOB/Pressure plate or not?

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
In all cars of my past, I always adjusted the clutch to have a small (1/8") gap between the TOB and pressure plate. Is the 03 Cobra different or should it have a gap?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
This is a great question. Ive heard both, have a small gap, OR have it touching the fingers so its engaged.

ttt!

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Leave a gap..1/8 to 1/4 is perfect..pedal should have a 1/4 of freeplay.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
i adjusted mine to where the throw out bearing is just barely off the pressure plate. i like the clutch to let out as soon as i push in the clutch. makes it easyer to powershift that way.

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
03InThe11s said:
i adjusted mine to where the throw out bearing is just barely off the pressure plate. i like the clutch to let out as soon as i push in the clutch. makes it easyer to powershift that way.

I agree with the desire to power shift, the problem I have is with 1/8' gap, the clutch engages with the pedal just 1/2" from the floor. It's hard to power shift if you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor. Are you using the UPR Extreme 3 hook?

03InThe11s

Established Member
angcobra said:
I agree with the desire to power shift, the problem I have is with 1/8' gap, the clutch engages with the pedal just 1/2" from the floor. It's hard to power shift if you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor. Are you using the UPR Extreme 3 hook?

nope. i kinda fabbed my own, i modified the original to make it adjustable. i also slightly modified the clutch fork (i added more of an arch to it) and like i said, with my set up, the clutch lets out at the top of the pedal travel, and the throw out bearing is still just a hair away from the pressure plate. i wish i would have taken pics of the mods i did. and btw, if i had to do it over again, i would have just bought an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster. that would have saved me alot of time.

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
03InThe11s said:
nope. i kinda fabbed my own, i modified the original to make it adjustable. i also slightly modified the clutch fork (i added more of an arch to it) and like i said, with my set up, the clutch lets out at the top of the pedal travel, and the throw out bearing is still just a hair away from the pressure plate. i wish i would have taken pics of the mods i did. and btw, if i had to do it over again, i would have just bought an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster. that would have saved me alot of time.

Thanks for the response, you have the clutch action I want. The UPR was suppose to be higher ramp but I don't think it is. I need to find a quandrant that has a much steeper ramp.

03InThe11s

Established Member
angcobra said:
Thanks for the response, you have the clutch action I want. The UPR was suppose to be higher ramp but I don't think it is. I need to find a quandrant that has a much steeper ramp.

i have heard many a good thing about steeda's stuff. might want to try them.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I have my steeda set so you push in about an inch and a half or so, and you can shift. Its a thousand times better then the stock quad.

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
mike79 said:
I have my steeda set so you push in about an inch and a half or so, and you can shift. Its a thousand times better then the stock quad.

Do you have a gap between the TOB/PP (loose pedal at top) or do you have it preloaded?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
angcobra said:
Do you have a gap between the TOB/PP (loose pedal at top) or do you have it preloaded?

Its loaded, but this is after I had the TOB replaced AGAIN. Had it replaced, set with a gap, started to squeel like crazy, so I set it so it touches. I have a new TOB retainer going in, with a clutch n bunch of other crap. I will set it so it touches this time from the start. I am also going to change the hook on the clutch quad so the cam geometry doesnt mess with the engagement of the clutch (so it stays preloaded as you put it) and so it engages right where I have it now, nice and high, and also so the clutch doesnt slip.

cgg074

Established Member
I opened a thread about this exact same issue.

My clutch engages in the middle of pedal travel; pedal has 1/4" of freeplay also. It shifts great!! No issues at all! I have the UPR F/W Adj & Quad.

But I went down the car and removed the clutch cover plate, and with the engine running (in neutral), the TOB was touching the pressure plate, therefore spinning.

:shrug:

Mine does'nt chirp at all; as I said, I don't have any issues.

Is it normal for the TOB to make contact with the PP?

Maybe someone with the stock quadrant can lift his car and see if the TOB spins making contact with the PP.

Thanks,

bender460

Established Member
cgg074

It IS normal to have slight pressure on the tob. That is the way Ford designed it :nono: been there done that. BUT I do feel there should be a gap, the only way I think to do it right is to add a spring from the bellhousing to the clutch fork.

Users who are viewing this thread