Garage floor coatings..

Graves

Established Member
I close on my house this Friday, and wanted to do a coating on the floor of the garage before moving a bunch of stuff in there.

Anyone have any experience doing this? I'm hoping to tackle the job myself, as it seems fairly simple. I know contractors can charge a lot to do this.

:beer:

homer302

Banned
That stuff has tire lift something terrible. I have never known anyone who put that down where it didn't lift. You pull a car in there with hot tires and let it sit a few days, when you go to move it the stuff lifts right off. I think it's all neat looking and much better than bare concrete but it's not as good as it says.
I built a brand new garage last year and just decided to leave it bare. It doesn't look as good but I don't have to worry about peeling.
I hope a bunch of others chime in. There are a lot of options for sure.

Graves

Established Member
Funny you mention that, as that is one of my biggest concerns.
The U-coat-it system says it doesn't have tire-lift, but I'd very much like to hear thoughts from people who've used it or something similar.

I'm open to any kind of finish for the floor. I know you can coat them, polish, seal them, do a clear coat type thing..

homer302

Banned
I DO have experience with the sealant and I WONT ever do that again. The last garage I built at my last house I had that put down. They put it down when the concrete is set up but not dry. They sprayed it on. It looked awesome. I would give it a A+ for looks. Man it looked good when you swept it too. But I will never do it again. Anything petroleum would make the sealant sticky and leave a spot in it. So 1 drop of brake fluid, oil, brake cleaner etc and it would leave the floor sticky. Why would you want something on a garage floor that oil would damage?

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I used the Costco kit 1 year ago. It is a water based epoxy and not super pricey. So far so good. When I got to the last 2' of the garage I was running short so I applied it thin and in a few of those spots it has come off slightly. Mostly on my wifes side and not were the tires sit but travel and right where i put it on thin. Overall I am happly with it and would reccommend it to anyone. I is available at Sherwin Williams retail locations as well. I actually mop it when it gets dirty. My wife laughs at me every time.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I used the Costco kit 1 year ago. It is a water based epoxy and not super pricey. So far so good. When I got to the last 2' of the garage I was running short so I applied it thin and in a few of those spots it has come off slightly. Mostly on my wifes side and not were the tires sit but travel and right where i put it on thin. Overall I am happly with it and would reccommend it to anyone. I is available at Sherwin Williams retail locations as well. I actually mop it when it gets dirty. My wife laughs at me every time.

Do you mind posting a picture? I'm trying to decide what to do as well.

homer302

Banned
Do you mind posting a picture? I'm trying to decide what to do as well.

PLEASE!!!!!
I would love to see it too. What did it cost?

EDIT.... I have bare concrete in my new garage (which I am sitting in right now on the internet, watching HD Nascar on a theater system under the ceiling fans) and my wife makes fun of me too. Whatever. You only live once. Don't feel bad.

Last edited:

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I used the kit from Home Depot about 2 or 3 years ago. Never got any tire lift, never had any issues cleaning up oils off it either.. And believe me, i am a spilling fool!! I think Prep is really the key here.

Oh, and if your moving into a brand new house, there may still be too much moisture in the floor, so youll have to check that before you go too far.

Last edited:

Crazy Ray

Established Member
I have had mine for three years now. I bought the kit from Home Depot. There is DVD dic that you have to watch. You have to clean the floor very well. My wife and I took two days just cleaning the floors. Let the floors dry for a day or two. That is the important part of the whole thing. Don't cut corners on the instructions. It is a two person job ( appling, mixing ). When you apply it to the floor, put it on thick, then let it dry for a week. I live in Arizona so the tires are always hot and i have had no peal up. I hope this helps.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
I used the Rustoleum Epoxy coat stuff on mine. It's been on for 6 years & it hasn't chipped, flaked or discolored anywhere and I've done everything in there. I did a burnout on my 4 wheeler on it (great idea) & it obviously left tire marks but once they faded it was fine underneath.
It's all in the prep, I cleaned the hell out of it one day, let it completely dry overnight then applied it the next day. Good stuff & 2 of the kits were $150.

1993R

Established Member
Used the Rustoleum kit 8 years ago and it still looks good. I prepped my floor and took 3 days from start to finish. I used 2 kits and put it on thick but even.

Graves

Established Member
Good info guys, thanks for the input. If you could post pictures of your floors, that'd be great as well.

Redmustang47

Mustang Obsessed
Established Member
I just picked up some race deck flooring for my garage friday. I will get some pics and let you know how i like it when it comes in.

I have had race deck in my garage for about a year and a half. It still looks great and is easy to clean. Putting it down was really easy, only took a couple of hours. :rockon:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I use the H&C on my drive and garage.If you use this product,make sure you put some type of anti-slip product in it.I`ve never had peeling issues.
022-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread