Garage Floor Paint

Wightmn

Established Member
Has anyone here had any experience with garage floor paint?

There are quite a few manufacturers out there and they all claim their stuff is great. Specifically, I am concerned about hot tire pickup and resistance to gas or oil. From what I have learned, results are heavily dependent on initial floor prep.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
would love to get some answers too.....subscribing.

i was just at a friend of a friends house over the weekend. he had a nicely finished floor, but commented that they put way too much sand/grit in the coating and it makes it nearly impossible to sweep or clean. something to watch for i guess. i've always heard you want some grit or else a smooth and glossy finish will become way too slippery and you'll slip and fall if it gets wet. anyway, would love to hear comments on what product works best.

99cobradave

Established Member
I've painted two concrete floors. I like the Valspar two part epoxy. It comes in two colors, grey and light grey. The light grey is too light, IMO. The grey cleans up nice and has a mirror finish.

It's $32.00 per gallon.

Here are some tips. Preparation is the key. You must spend an entire weekend preparing the floor! If you don't, it will peal.

1. Sweep floor
2. De-grease floor
3. Acid wash floor
4. Power spray floor
Note: the acid washing leaves a very fine powder like residue. If you don't power spray, this residue will not come off and the paint will not bond to the concrete.
5. Check floor again - if there are any greasy spots remaining, acid wash/power spray again.
6. Let floor dry at least 72 hours
7. Make sure temp. is 70 deg. or above and start painting.
8. You'll need 2 coats

Watch out, when fully cured, this painted floor gets slippery when wet!! Do not use the non-skid additive. It makes the dried paint sandpaper like, and will destroy any mop/shop vac attachment/broom which you use to clean it. Use the stick on non-skid strips in walkways if this is a concern.

Do not use on new concrete! Wait at least 12 months.

My painted garage floor is now three years old and still looks like new. Nothing sticks - hot tires, salt, oil, etc. Love it!

I have pics, but I cannot post (?) I can pm pics if requested.

Good luck.

Last edited:

93Cobra4v

Established Member
I got the rustoleum stuff from Hope Depot. It was $75 for a 10x10 and comes with all the prep stuff for the floor.
It works awesome with no hot tire pickup. It comes with a video on setup as well. There are some other more expensive ones but the stuff from HD works really well. Just make sure it is a two part epoxy. Make sure you use the confetti crap or your floor will be slippery as snot when wet. I pull my car in and out all of the time and have had no instances of hot tire pickup.

Last edited:

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
Subscribing too. Mucho interest in this product. Anyone have pics? Insight on how it is after coming in from the rain with the floor wet?

TIA

A

predator

Established Member
This is what I was looking at for my garage.......

http://www.racedeck.com/racedeck.htm

The prep work needed to paint seemed to be exceedingly intensive (24'x36') and I could not get a guarantee it would stay. Besides, when I laid my slab I took the "textured" route to avoid slips. Ran across it with a broom....like you might do on a walkway. Still a lot of dust to deal with. I am sure that Racedeck would be costly....haven't check yet....but it would be a breeze to install. Lots of flexibility in design too. Just another option.

99cobradave

Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
Subscribing too. Mucho interest in this product. Anyone have pics? Insight on how it is after coming in from the rain with the floor wet?

TIA

A

Very slippery! Realizing this and planning ahead will solve the problem though. I haven't fallen yet, after 3 years, and I don't have any anti-slip measures. I just be careful after pulling in from the rain.

I'll pm some pics when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Wightmn

Established Member
Predator,

Some of those racedeck garages are awsome. I especially liked the one with the pool table. Great, I went from wanting a new garage floor to a whole new house. Thanks!

JaysGreenLX

"Ugh Jerks"
Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobradave
Very slippery! Realizing this and planning ahead will solve the problem though. I haven't fallen yet, after 3 years, and I don't have any anti-slip measures. I just be careful after pulling in from the rain.

I'll pm some pics when I get a chance.

The Rustoleum floor paint mentioned above comes with traction flakes that you put on the floor while the paint is still wet. Then when it dries the flakes are pretty well glued in place. This does make it a little more difficult to clean but still a hell of a lot better than slipping and killing yourself. And its still easier to clean than non coated concrete.

Users who are viewing this thread