Gas Door Options?

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
I was wondering how many of you are planning to change out the gas door? What kind/styles are you using?

I have about 2 months until delivery and have been going over the options in my head since Feb:

1. CDC remote actuated door $265-300

2. Bullit door $89-119

3. ? (other)

I am leaning toward the classic concepts model, but I don't want to use the trunk release button on the factory remote. Although, I like the security compared to that of the Bullit style, the price is 3 times as high.

Any other suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
If you have to use the trunk pop wire for the fuel door then the pop trunk button in the car should be moved over by the driver? (which needs to be anyway?)

Do you have a website?

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
According to MM&FF it is a job that can be done in about 2-4 hours. I think that it requires the electronics, not the actual wire. I will look at the mag and give an update on exactly what is involved in the installation. One other thing is that the keyhole for the trunk is recessed rather deep. This can lead to scratches on the spoiler.

I do not have site at this time. I will build one when my current project at work is over.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
I would go with the remote version, but would modify it. Instead of using the trunk remote switch, I would wire it to its own momentary switch (Radio Shack) mounted under the steering wheel. There are plenty of spots there for tapping into 12 volts and ground.

You'll have a secure fuel cover and keep your trunk release too.

Peter

:beer:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Petzuk
I would go with the remote version, but would modify it. Instead of using the trunk remote switch, I would wire it to its own momentary switch (Radio Shack) mounted under the steering wheel. There are plenty of spots there for tapping into 12 volts and ground.

You'll have a secure fuel cover and keep your trunk release too.

Peter

Sounds awesome!!

Don't many imports have this??? No flame intended

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah, but have you ever seen the one on the Bullit? They look great, and if a Bullit looks great with one that's enough proof for me.

I probably hate ricers worse than anyone on this board, or at least front wheel drive imports. The last thing in the world I want my car to look like is an import. I do appreciate the different perspective. It is always good to have a different point of view.

Check the mags out for some pics.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by SnkEyes
Yeah, but have you ever seen the one on the Bullit? They look great, and if a Bullit looks great with one that's enough proof for me.

I ordered the Bullit fuel door from Ford and put it on my 2001 GT in about 10 minutes. It looks AWESOME! I love it. I'm thinking about pulling it off the GT before I get rid of it and putting it on the Cobra.

If you don't care about the remote operation and all that, the Bullit door looks tough and is pretty classy in my opinion...

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
The only thing that the Bullit door doesn't have is security. Do you have a locking gas cap?

I think that it is a good contrast in colors. I agree on the classy part.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The fuel door that classic design and others are selling is actually the one Pro-Fits fuel doors makes.
http://www.fueldoors.com
I bought one for my car about a 2 weeks ago from Mustang World they had the best price 250+14 S&H.
http://www.mwspeedshop.com/fueldoor1.htm

I bought it and it took a week to be delivered. When I open the package there is an L-bracket that holds the cable to the door that was broke. I was upset because of how much this cost and it was already broke. I sent the contact an email and received an immediate response with an apology and he forwarded me to Randy who was in charge of the manufacturing. Randy called me the next morning and said that it appears they received a bad batch of brackets and had already sent me a replacement kit next day priority air. I received the new bracket and allot of accessory hardware they wanted to make sure anything I might need was included with very detailed personal notes on what to do. The funny part is the door unit looks like it can withstand a fall from a 5 story building this thing is built solid and the new bracket is stronger then the first. They were very responsive and easy to talk to I would do it again.

The kit comes with everything you need to install this door. The big thing I was confused about is I thought the bolts around the ring actually did something and in reality they are just for appearances so don’t buy the safety bolt option. The door is actually held on by 4 L-brackets that are on the inside of the door not really visable when installed.

99-03 Mustang electric locking fuel door instructions (Rev. E 380Kb zipped)
99-03 Mustang electric locking fuel door instructions (Rev. E 380Kb zipped)

My notes on the instructions.
1) The instructions have you installing the ring bolts last I would tap the holes and install the bolts first then install the door if I did it again.
2) I suggest using some type of gasket between the door and the car because this is real metal and did wear some paint away in the 2 days I had it on my car before I told it back off to be chromed.
3) The 2 bolts for the L-brackets closest to the rear of the car should be trimmed approx 1/8th of an inch it will make it allot easier to install and keep you from scratching the paint, which I did.

I was talking with Randy and how he was talking I could tell they are sincerely very customer loyal. He said that if you have the door and something happens that they would fix it for the price of shipping it back. I am sure that this has limitations but for scratches and the like this would be cool. I told him that I did not like the grain look and was planning on having mine chromed and he said that is a problem because the tolerances are to close to still fit after it is chromed. He said if I wanted I could ship it back and they would make the necessary modifications and have it chromed at a local facility reassemble it and ship it back for the price of the chrome and shipping and would send me the receipt from the chroming place just so that I would know they aren't changing the prices. So my door is on the way back to be chromed now I really need the chrome rims.

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by SnkEyes
The only thing that the Bullit door doesn't have is security. Do you have a locking gas cap?

I think that it is a good contrast in colors. I agree on the classy part.

Agreed... it's not secure - but then again, neither was the factory one that it replaced. No - don't have a locking gas cap - guess I'm taking a chance... but then again, if someone wants to jack with your car, they'll probably do it no matter what type of security you have.

Yeah, my GT is Black, and the brushed aluminum door looks great against it. My Cobra is going to be yellow (supposed to be built today)... I think that will look good too.

ZXnVS

Established Member
I've been considering the Bullitt fuel door, but I thought it required drilling. Are those allen-head bolts just there for looks? Does the whole fuel door swing out on a hinged bracket, or just the center section that looks like its supposed to open?

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
I've been considering the Bullitt fuel door, but I thought it required drilling. Are those allen-head bolts just there for looks? Does the whole fuel door swing out on a hinged bracket, or just the center section that looks like its supposed to open?

Nope. No drilling. The center section is the only part that opens up for fueling. Two of the allen head screws (on the right side) are actually screws that go into the holes where the old fuel door assembly was attached (the rest are just decoration). On the left side of the Bullitt door, there are actually a couple "teeth"-like extensions that latch onto the fender (Picture the battery door on a remote control - one end of the door has a small tooth or teeth that go into a notch on the remote - the other side of the door actually locks in place with a screw or clip or something)

It's really an easy installation - I'm probably not describing it very well though.

I heard that these fuel doors were actually swapped out on the assembly line for the GT bodies that would become Bullitts... and I can see why that might be true- it took no time at all to do, and the only tool I used was a screwdriver.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
I would rather go with remote fuel opening than one that uses a key...this would mean that everytime i fuel up i have to give the key to the attendant and HOPE that he does not scratch the car with the key...FULL service is something in NJ i could do without and would like to do my own pumping. This would save any spillage that might happen also.

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by TopRacer
I would rather go with remote fuel opening than one that uses a key...this would mean that everytime i fuel up i have to give the key to the attendant and HOPE that he does not scratch the car with the key...FULL service is something in NJ i could do without and would like to do my own pumping. This would save any spillage that might happen also.

You guys actually still have Full service in NJ??? Wow... I haven't seen a full service station in years (I'm from the South suburbs of Chicago).

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I wonder how the brushed aluminum remote door would look on my zinc yellow 03?

Vinnie T

Established Member
I'm new to this forum, but didn't notice anyone mentioning the billet fuel doors from MGW? (www.mgwltd.com) They are priced between the Bullitt and power acuated doors (about $185), and come with either SVT or Cobra logos on the center sections. You can also choose between polished, satin and black finishes to the inner and outer rings. Took me about 20 minutes to replace the doors. These are manual doors, and the quality is superb.

ZXnVS

Established Member
I don't have their fuel door, but I can attest to MGW's quality. I wish they made more Mustang parts, because everything they make is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread