Gas tank filler neck?

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
Had a question don't know if this is the right place to post but here it is.

I'm doing some mods on the gas tank and I had to pull the filler neck out of the tank and there was a valve of some sort on the very end. I wondering what that little valve dose and If I really need it? The only reason I ask is yes I broke it but I got it all out before if fell in the tank. Thanks for all the great info!

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
filler pipe check valve, yes you need it, sure its busted up ? mine popped off when i pulled the tank, i retrieved it from the tank and popped it back on before re-installation of filler pipe.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Same thing happened to me when doing the PPRV delete and had to fish it out!

cobra9903

Established Member
what exactly dose it do? Mine is broke and I can't wait to see what the price is for that. IF I do not have it what will it do. Anyone really ran a car without it. Just wondering not a big deal if I have to buy it. Thanks !

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Not really sure what it would do without it. I just know mine came apart and saw this thing floating in the tank. Fished it out and it easily snapped back in with no trouble, but nothing broken. It was rather tough pulling out the neck from the tank and we figured that part caught and fell inside.

cobra9903

Established Member
I wish mine just came apart but not my luck. Form What I see the valve looks like its crimped into the pipe. I can see where the end would come apart but mine broke off right where the metal starts. Don't know if I can just get a new valve or have to get the hole new pipe. I might try to run without it I let you now if anything happens. Thanks NUTTY!

Goodlife

Established Member
I wish mine just came apart but not my luck. Form What I see the valve looks like its crimped into the pipe. I can see where the end would come apart but mine broke off right where the metal starts. Don't know if I can just get a new valve or have to get the hole new pipe. I might try to run without it I let you now if anything happens. Thanks NUTTY!

Were you able to get that filler neck out without removing the gas tank?
If so how? I need to replace the seal from filler neck to gas tank.

tinosc281

Established Member
Had a question don't know if this is the right place to post but here it is.

I'm doing some mods on the gas tank and I had to pull the filler neck out of the tank and there was a valve of some sort on the very end. I wondering what that little valve dose and If I really need it? The only reason I ask is yes I broke it but I got it all out before if fell in the tank. Thanks for all the great info!

that is the overflow valve so you don't spill gas all over your car on fill ups.that's the valve that makes the pump stop when the gas reaches the fill tube.so you do need it

cobra9903

Established Member
Yes I got the filler tube out without droping the tank! there is a metal bracket with an 8mm bolt holding the neck from moving. Its located on the edge of the tank. wasn't really that hard to pull out but remember I broke the valve at the end. I beleive if the exhaust was removed on that side I would not have broken it. I can get to the seal real easy now. I am going to run my car without the valve and I dont think it will be a problem for me. If it dose become a problem I'll just buy the valve. No one knows what that valve costs off hand do ya?

Users who are viewing this thread