gas tank wont accept gas

masterjr33

Established Member
Filing the cobra up yesterday. I could only get 1-2 seconds of fuel before it would kick back.
I could hear air escaping the fill nexk.
basically it sounded like i could only fill up the fill neck and wait on it to drain down.

anyone else ever get this? is there an easy fix?
any specific line i should check for kinks orblockages.
any lines i could put a vent on to allow me to fill up in one shot?

going on a trip this weekend. ( deals gap/tail of the dragon)
and i dont want to spend 30 minutes filling up every 2 hours.

mrose75

Established Member
Wow! Never heard of that. Try googling it? Not trying to be an ass, but I'm sure that Cobras fuel tank isn't that high tech and somebody on earth has experienced it before and it may give you somewhere to start. Good luck and post up the solution.

cj428mach

Established Member
My company truck is an 07 F150 they purchased used and it does this. Its really annoying because the place we fill up fuels too fast and even on the lowest notch on the handle holder it disengages because it fills too fast. I just have a old pill bottle that fits perfectly under the handle and holds it open so I can fill it and not have to hold the nozzle out in the cold. I assume it got a fuel pump put in it earlier in its life and someone didn't reinstall something correctly.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
My daily driver 04 Nissan Titan does this on occasion and has for years. It just started doing it again, not sure the cause.

masterjr33

Established Member
sounds like mine fills the fill tube up and slam off. then slowly drains down some untill i can pump a bit more in. I can hear it growling.hissing as the fuel drains out of the tube.

from my searches only things i can find is the TSB/bulletine for the 05+ for a bad fill neck.

anyone have experience with how/what our cars use to vent the tank when filling? mine just mine be clogged or stuck

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
It's a vent issue to be sure, I just don't remember how the vent works. Check out all hoses that lead from the tank.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You have a vent hose somewhere that's not letting pressure out of the tank when you fill. The gas station pump detects the back pressure and kicks off. A few years ago when I pulled my tank and did some work I ran into this problem. I'd go to fill up and it kept kicking off and it took forever to get the tank to fill. I pulled the tank again and inspected all hoses and connections, never did find anything wrong but after putting it all back together the problem was gone. So clearly the first time around I had a vent hose somewhere that was either pinched or it was one of those snap together fittings that was not fully seated. Inspect all your vent hoses and connections. Something is blocked.

jk_aktion

Established Member
could be a few things. in the filler neck itself, may be stuck and not letting enough fuel in, it's a weak spring so possibly just the cap is stuck inside/cockeyed or something. also the vented tubes may be plugged, dirt build up etc..

2_zps211497f4.gif

3_zps566c7b53.gif

1_zps32114d6c.gif

4_zpsdfe154bf.gif

Users who are viewing this thread