Gas?

Chris-SVT

Established Member
This sounds wierd but when i got my 01 GT like a week ago the sales person said dont use anything higher than 87 octance fuel?
I dont see why i couldnt use 93. I thought i would ask and if anyone has ever heard of this....

Thanks,
Chris

89stang306

Established Member
The engine is not designed to run anything higher than 87, if you do, you are actually loosing power. With the compression ratio on a SOHC motor, the higher octane is harder to burn whereas the 87 is a more volatile mixture. Do a google search on the subject becuase there is WAY to much info on it for me to type but trust me, unless you have spark timing issues and are pinging under acceleration, do not use more than 87 cause you are only hurting performance.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Originally posted by 89stang306
The engine is not designed to run anything higher than 87, if you do, you are actually loosing power. With the compression ratio on a SOHC motor, the higher octane is harder to burn whereas the 87 is a more volatile mixture. Do a google search on the subject becuase there is WAY to much info on it for me to type but trust me, unless you have spark timing issues and are pinging under acceleration, do not use more than 87 cause you are only hurting performance.

You are absolutely correct. You might as well flush your money down the toilet if you're using 93 octane.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
hey chris-svt, how did you get your '01 in DSG? that color is new for '03. did you have it painted or is it mineral grey?

Users who are viewing this thread