Gates belt squeak?

SBSnake

Established Member
just wanted to see if anybody else had problems with an insanely loud belt sueaking from a Gates belt? my tuner said that most of the Gates green stripe they had heard sounded like that and recommended a NAPA belt...any opinions? i thought about the Gatorbacks too but my 2.80 is grooved so my shop advised me agianst them. thanks in advance:beer:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
The only time I've had any problems with the gates belts squeeking is when I got antifreeze on them. Just a little bit on there and they where junk from then on out.

I've run a gates belt now for about 15k and I haven't experienced any squeeking. My belt is tight as hell too.

On a related note, my Motorcraft belt used to squeek all the time until I ran the car one day and pour half a gallon of water on the belt. I poured it from the top of the upper pulley. And that squeek never returned. That was my experience.

Last edited:

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
Try a Dayco Poly Cog Gold Label.

I got mine at Advance AutoParts. It also makes the Blower whine alot louder.

SBSnake

Established Member
thanks for the input fellas, we tried putting a little water on the backside and it didnt help much. then we tried a little brake cleaner on a rag to the back side and it helped until it evaporated and it came right back. i have a buddy that works at Advanced Auto so im gonna check into the Dayco belt, thanks for the help Illsnake

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yeah, unfortuantley, the Gates belts for our cars have a bit of a reputation for making noise on ocassion. I've had a couple start to squeak on me and just get new ones from RockAuto for $25 when it happens. They're excellent quality belts, but agree, the squeaking's obnoxious.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
My last gates belt started squeaking on me, I got pissed and pulled it off. I hit it with a soft brillo pad to take off the build up. Tossed it back on and the sqeak didn't return for a good long while.

kameleongt

Established Member
i have had about 3 diff gates belts on my car all of them squeak. Napa belts are made by gates :x do the gatorback or w/e its called thats what im trying next or later on this week to be exact ill let you know how that goes :)

SBSnake

Established Member
well im glad to see it wasnt just me then. the NAPA belt i put on is starting to squeak too now so i might be trying the Dayco that ILL recommended in the very near future

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I had a problem with mine with the napa belt (gates). this was after I washed it under the hood. I think it may have been from the soap. I'm not really sure. It was fine the evening I washed it. It was a brand new belt by the way. I had just installed my 2# lower pulley kit a few weeks prior. After I washed it and drove back to the beach house (mustangweek) it was just fine. The next morning going to the show at mustangweek it had this very annoying squeek. It went away after warmed up (few miles down the road). I could drizzle a little water on it and it would go away then come right back. After getting home I tried some belt dressing. Big mistake. It made a mess and created a louder squeal.
I ordered a gatorback and its been fine ever since. I have the non slip billetflow pulley on mine and have no issues. I also ran a gatorback with my 2.76 upper only for 10K miles with no squeeks.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Belts squeek when there is a pulley is out of alignment. If it's minor it may take a long time for the noise to occur. Many, many people run Gates with no noise and they are the only belt I'd use.

Mook03TRMN8R

Established Member
I have the same exact prob as BBCOBRA... I installed a 2lb lower, and ever since... SQUEEEEEL! I have always run Gates and Gates green stripes with no prob... and ever since the 2lb went on it squeels like hell until the car is all warmed up. So i take it that 2lb lower is not perfectly in line, and that is causing the squeel? anything i can do to get it in line?
I tried EVERYTHING on multiple belts... wire brushing it, cleaning all pullies, belt dressing = big mess, spraying water works for 2 mins and squeel is back... returned the belts to napa and get a new one... squeel comes back after about an hour of driving.
I guess i need to try Gatorback? any other ideas??
thanks

bigmoose

Established Member
skip the gatorback. its junk. i had a squeak with the dayco poly belt (no slip at all) so i put a gatorback on. the noise went away, however, the belt slipped bad above 5k. i have a gates waiting to go on to see how it does.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I installed a 2lb lower, and ever since... SQUEEEEEL!
First thing you have to do is take the belt off and clean all that belt dressing off everything... and don't ever spray that stuff on there again :poke:

Alternator is out of align. The problem is with the spacer under the lower alternator bracket, bottom bolt. You will need to either put some additional shims in or grind it down. You can try pushing or pulling on the belt as it tracks onto the pass side of the crank pulley to see which way quiets it... just be careful.

Last edited:

antiv6

Established Member
i had gates for a while, it was fine the whole time i had it, when one of my ilders came loose and sent the belt of track and messed the belt up i got a gatorback, much better in my opinion so far. i never had squeaking from the belt though

Mook03TRMN8R

Established Member
improductions... i think u are on the right track here man... i definitely think the additon of the lower pulley kit and the the way the alternator gets spaced out is part of my prob. I really believe the gates belts are the best, and id like to stick with that brand... Im going to have to get the car on the lift and play with the spacing like you mentioned.
Just FYI... after i did the stupid belt dressing mistake, i took EVERYTHING apart and cleaned all that crap off... every pulley and the belt are currently clean as new...
I think the prob has to do with the alignment of the lower and the alt pulley. something is a bit out of whack...

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
improductions... i think u are on the right track here man... i definitely think the additon of the lower pulley kit and the the way the alternator gets spaced out is part of my prob.
I think it's pretty common with the lower kits. Me and several other guys went round and round with this a couple years back and then one guy figured out that spacer was the easiest way to fix it. I ended up cutting off about an 1/8" off mine and no more noise.

A Gatorback belt may be quieter sometimes but they're also known for coming apart on our blower application. Gates FTW but the pulleys must be in proper alignment.

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
what about if your gates belt is really tight and you installed a RR manual tensioner, you are getting a loud squeek everytime you hit the throttle? I found it is slipping, it went from 18 lbs with the stock tensioner to 12 with the RR then tightened it a little bit and it went to 15 and drops off to 12????? But I am afraid I will damage the Whipple if I tighten it any more???? Any suggestions? Sorry for cuttin in on your thread but kind of the same thing

Users who are viewing this thread