Gauge pod and gauges?

AMD[H]unter

Banned
Hey guys, I am looking at adding an A-pillar gauge pod to the Cobra. Are there any pods/pillars that actually replace the stock piece? I am thinking that the SOS pod does this? Also, what gauges should I put in the pod, and should I get 2 pod, or do I need 3? I was thinking about doing a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge.

Any recommendations?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The Speed of Sound gauge pod is a Factory Ford piece that replaces the factory pillar.

Here's mine with Speedhut Boost/Vacuum and Wideband O2 Gauges.

189628.jpg

189633.jpg

189634.jpg

189640.jpg

This is my car that is used on the SOS website.
189636.jpg

RedfireSVT

Established Member
AMD[H]unter;5936574 said:
What would be the most useful gauges to have? I was thinking Boost and Fuel Pressure...I had water temp and oil pressure in my last car.

temp and oil pressure would be the most important gauges with fuel pressure being my third choice. boost gauge means nothing as far as need or importance.

AMD[H]unter

Banned
temp and oil pressure would be the most important gauges with fuel pressure being my third choice. boost gauge means nothing as far as need or importance.

Good point about boost. I guess I could add an overlay on my stocker to get the true reading. But, why not fuel pressure? Are the water temp and oil pressure gauges as wrong in the Cobra as they were in my old Tbird SC? The OP in that car was just a pressure switch that came on at 11PSI and stayed constant anywhere above that....Ford....:nonono:

AMD[H]unter

Banned
Thanks for the post, 04sleeper! How did you run your wires? That's my main concern...I just don't know where to run 'em. Are those mechanical or electric gauges?

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Once you get the pillar off there's a little space where you can drop them down behind the dash. You'll see once you get in there.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
AMD[H]unter;5936813 said:
Good point about boost. I guess I could add an overlay on my stocker to get the true reading. But, why not fuel pressure? Are the water temp and oil pressure gauges as wrong in the Cobra as they were in my old Tbird SC? The OP in that car was just a pressure switch that came on at 11PSI and stayed constant anywhere above that....Ford....:nonono:

temp and oil psi dash gauges are worthless idiot lights. they aren't very acurate. if you plan on running 3 gauges then yes i would add the fuel pressure, i just gave you what i believe to be the two best choices.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
AMD[H]unter;5937202 said:
Thanks for the post, 04sleeper! How did you run your wires? That's my main concern...I just don't know where to run 'em. Are those mechanical or electric gauges?
Lloyd is correct about running them. Just pop yours off and you will see where the wires will go. You don't even need any tools to pop off the pillar, just grab it and pull it off. Here's a short video of how to do it from the SOS website. http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/i/Instructions/PillarInstall.wmv
These are electric gauges. They are very easy to wire up and come with everything you need to wire them up, unlike other gauges that require sending units and adapters etc...

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
autometer pods with luanr gauges. i did not paint the pods to match but i could care less :)

DSC02091.gif

the gauges are way brighter in person.
pic8.gif

Last edited:

AMD[H]unter

Banned
Snakebite, thanks for the pics! I have never liked those type of pods because they look harder to wire the gauges up because you have to deal with the dash crap all in the way. I could be wrong, though...

Once you get the pillar off there's a little space where you can drop them down behind the dash. You'll see once you get in there.

Aight, gotcha. When I did my gauges in my SC, I got power for them from the fuse box right under the dash under the steering column, using the old wrap the wire around a fuse post trick. Will that work for the Cobra, or do I need to get one of these? (blue thing, can't think of the real name for it)

temp and oil psi dash gauges are worthless idiot lights. they aren't very acurate. if you plan on running 3 gauges then yes i would add the fuel pressure, i just gave you what i believe to be the two best choices.

I figured as much considering that it's a Ford. That's the exact same thing that the SC had, which is the reason for my pod in it. Maybe I will get a 3 gauge pod and get OP, WT, and FP. Thanks.

Lloyd is correct about running them. Just pop yours off and you will see where the wires will go. You don't even need any tools to pop off the pillar, just grab it and pull it off. Here's a short video of how to do it from the SOS website. http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/i/Instructions/PillarInstall.wmv
These are electric gauges. They are very easy to wire up and come with everything you need to wire them up, unlike other gauges that require sending units and adapters etc...

Thanks for the link! I was looking at it today scratching my head trying to figure out how it came off. I didn't want to try because I would have probably broken it. Where do those speedhut gauges get a signal if they don't have/use a sender, or do they use the stocker? They do have wires going under the hood, right?

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
AMD[H]unter;5937533 said:
Snakebite, thanks for the pics! I have never liked those type of pods because they look harder to wire the gauges up because you have to deal with the dash crap all in the way. I could be wrong, though...

i think it is a pain in the ass so thats why i pay the pros do the magic.:beer:

AMD[H]unter

Banned
I was looking for some gauges, but I failed...lol

I want to find some full-sweep Autometer electric Oil Pressure and Water Temp ones. All I can find is a 90 degree sweep. I really DO NOT want to use mechanical gauges for this.

So far, I have found these 2, but before I order them, I want to make sure they will do what I need: (and if anyone knows of some full sweep electrical gauges in this style, please show me...)
100-250* Water Temp: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...765939+4294908416+4294906159+115&autoview=sku

0-100PSI Oil Pressure: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...765939+4294908436+4294908435+115&autoview=sku

Users who are viewing this thread