Gauges for 2008 GT500

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I'm looking to have my cam/coil covers replaced in my 2008 GT500 with a powdercoated/polished set and while it is in the shop I was looking to have some gauges installed.

I have the Shelby Gauge Pod (without holes) for the center of the dash like the SS and other models use. I know Shelby sells the kit with AutoMeter Carbon Fiber gauges for Boost, Fuel Pressure, and Oil Pressure (albeit 2 5/8"). I plan to get a VMP GenII soon, so I think I should replace one of those with a wideband right? Any suggestions as to gauges I should be using? I like the idea of Ford Racing, but I know they cost a lot more and don't have a wideband. I can stick with the CF AutoMeter gauges in 2 1/16" and cover Boost, Wideband, and Oil Pressure...but not sure if that's what makes the most sense.

So I'm looking for any suggestions on what gauges to consider, any issues I should look out for, etc.

Thanks,

colin1966

Established Member
This is what I did with my 09, I used the Roush vent pods to add the A/F & volts gauges.
As you have the Shelby pod without holes, I would check out the nGauge,

gauges.JPG

In my 11 I am using the Ford Racing gauges with the FRPP pod (w/temp/fuel & boost) & the nGauge in the vent.
IMG_2653.JPG

Attched is a .PDF that will help with the gauge install.
View attachment gauge_pod.pdf

Colin

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'm looking to have my cam/coil covers replaced in my 2008 GT500 with a powdercoated/polished set and while it is in the shop I was looking to have some gauges installed.

I have the Shelby Gauge Pod (without holes) for the center of the dash like the SS and other models use. I know Shelby sells the kit with AutoMeter Carbon Fiber gauges for Boost, Fuel Pressure, and Oil Pressure (albeit 2 5/8"). I plan to get a VMP GenII soon, so I think I should replace one of those with a wideband right? Any suggestions as to gauges I should be using? I like the idea of Ford Racing, but I know they cost a lot more and don't have a wideband. I can stick with the CF AutoMeter gauges in 2 1/16" and cover Boost, Wideband, and Oil Pressure...but not sure if that's what makes the most sense.

So I'm looking for any suggestions on what gauges to consider, any issues I should look out for, etc.

Thanks,

I see you have mentioned both 2 5/8" and 2 1/16", are you thinking about putting the 2 1/16" gauges in that Shelby dash pod? or 2 5/8" in the pod and 2 1/16" elsewhere?

R

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I see you have mentioned both 2 5/8" and 2 1/16", are you thinking about putting the 2 1/16" gauges in that Shelby dash pod? or 2 5/8" in the pod and 2 1/16" elsewhere?

R

I only mentioned the sizes since the Shelby set is 2 5/8" and others seem to be 2 1/16" especially the widebands. Ford Racing gauges seem to be available in both, but not every gauge is available in both sizes. The pod will accept either so that isn't a problem necessarily.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I only mentioned the sizes since the Shelby set is 2 5/8" and others seem to be 2 1/16" especially the widebands. Ford Racing gauges seem to be available in both, but not every gauge is available in both sizes. The pod will accept either so that isn't a problem necessarily.

The reason why I asked is because Auto Meter makes a 2005-2009 Mustang 2 1/16" dash pod with holes already and angled toward the driver also.............

006_zpshqd2nth9.jpg

008_zpst4zb1jlg.jpg

and a comparison to the 2 5/8" Shelby dash pod (with angle ring kit)................

004_zpsabhjhr1t.jpg

R

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Autometer Cobalt Fuel and Vacuum/Boost pressure gauges in a dual SoS pod and an AeroForce Interceptor (with accessories) in a Roush vent pod.

SoS pod.jpg

AeroForce.jpg

Illuminated.jpg

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
American Muscle sells the dash gauge pods made for the BOSS, but I'd go with the Aerospace dual gauge pod that mounts like the above picture. You can program them to do whatever you want rpms, shift lights, fuel, they even have kits for air fuel ratio\etc. 53903 (1).jpg
Plugs right into your OBD-II port. Way more advanced and saves you like....1k?

Last edited:

colin1966

Established Member
American Muscle sells the dash gauge pods made for the BOSS, but I'd go with the Aerospace dual gauge pod that mounts like the above picture. You can program them to do whatever you want rpms, shift lights, fuel, they even have kits for air fuel ratio\etc. View attachment 63703
Plugs right into your OBD-II port. Way more advanced and saves you like....1k?

Some FYI,
You can buy the Boss pod separate ($99) and add whatever gauges you want (as I did) including the Aerospace gauges.

I would advise anyone looking at gauges to look at the nGuage before spending $$$ on the Aerospace gauges, I have had both & would highly recommend the nGuage, just my 2 cents.

Colin

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I already have the Shelby pod, which I think matches the Premium Interior fairly well so I'll probably stick with it unless the AutoMeter version is worlds better (fit and finish).

Regarding the nGauge from Lund, I only see options that include/require a tune. Obviously the AeroForce gauges don't require a tune to use, so is there an nGauge option that doesn't require a tune to go along with it? Also, the nGauge is 2.4" which makes it tough to be mounted in any standard mount doesn't it?

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Any comments on the nGauge? Looks very cool but I don't know that I need the tunes as I will be going with a VMP kit soon. Should I stick with an AeroForce?

Poisonous West

Established Member
BOTH VMP & Van (Raven racingz) sell just the Ngauge WITHOUT the tune. I got mine Ngauge from Van. You have to call them. I will post some pictures of how I mount my Ngauge.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
The nGauge if very compelling. I use Aeroforce and I'm happy with the product. You should consider IAT2 as something you need to monitor since you have oil pressure on the dash.

I want to put the nGauge into a vent and would love to see a picture if someone has done that already.

Poisonous West

Established Member
This is how I installed my nGauge into the vent on my 11 GT500.

I tried using ONLY the Roush vent pot but it did NOT work well. So I add an angle gauge ring that came with a gauge I previously bought. As you can see in the pictures, the angle ring gives an additional 20 more degree so I can orient the nGauge MORE directly to the driver while driving. Hope this help.

Capture-5.JPG

Capture-6.JPG

Capture-7.JPG

Poisonous West

Established Member
Also, the A-pillar SOS gauge pod, I can tell you it's a POS - I am serious. I bought the SOS A-pillar triple pod

First, the rivet heat stick out so far that it actually blocking the body of the gauge - it means gauge can NOT installed. Unless I have to use a grinder to remove MOST of the rivet head.

Second, the inside diameter of the cup actually TOO small - it means gauges can NOT installed. The ONLY way to installed ALL 3 gauges is to use heavy sand paper to remove the inside plastic.

I called SOS regarding to this and all they said is exactlly the above. I still have the SOS A-pillar seating in my basement and have NOT install yet. I can NOT believe a company can sell a product like this.

I am seriously considering the BOSS center gauge pod.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
This is how I installed my nGauge into the vent on my 11 GT500.

So I add an angle gauge ring that came with a gauge I previously bought. As you can see in the pictures, the angle ring gives an additional 20 more degree so I can orient the nGauge directly to the driver while driving. Hope this help.
Your nGauge install looks great. What is the Angle Ring's gauge size? Did you have to modify it to make it fit?

Thanks!

Poisonous West

Established Member
The angle ring ID is 2-1/16. It came from a 2-1/16 gauge that I bought few months ago. What I did is I use some 3M thin double side tape to mount the nGauge to the angle ring. Then use duct tape to secure the angle ring to the Roush vent pod - the duct tape is applied INSIDE of the Roush vent pod so it's hidden. It came out pretty nice.

colin1966

Established Member
As mentioned above you can get an nGauge without ordering a tune BUT you could also ask your tuner for your tune to be loaded into the nGuage (maybe a $$ charge??) why miss out on this feature??
The nGauge is a great way to monitor your car,load tunes & datalog and no pissin around with the SCT & laptop cables while trying to datalog and loads a tune in 3 minutes.

My nGuage install.
http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/6-performance-modifications/125337-ngauge-install.html

just my 2 cents worth.
Colin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread