gear advice on hitech cams

Demonio

Established Member
Hello, I have a 97 mustang gt with PI heads and stage 2 hitech cams with t45 tranny, I have stock rear end gears n would like to swap them out for some thing more fun, 3.73 4.10 4.30 4.56 what u guys recommend?

Demonio

Established Member
I was thinking at least a 4.10 after doing some readying. Read that if it was a cobra be at 4.30 for high rev fun but not sure what be best for the sohc motor without hurting it to much on performance.

Last edited:

Stang Lover

Established Member
Stick with 4.10 & your correct about 4V for 4.30 gears. If you plan boosting down the road id get 3.73 or 3.90 gears.

Demonio

Established Member
Yeah no boost for this one. Just want it to be a fun all motor car. Used to drive it all time but now mostly is parked. But I'm leaning towards 4.10 since seem to be the ones most people recommend.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Yeah no boost for this one. Just want it to be a fun all motor car. Used to drive it all time but now mostly is parked. But I'm leaning towards 4.10 since seem to be the ones most people recommend.

Good choice you'll definitely enjoy them!

spike_africa

Established Member
If its a daily driver, do 3.73's so you don't take a huge hit on mpg. If its a weekend car and won't have boost or built motor etc... just a fun street weekend car, then do 4.10's for sure.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
If its a daily driver, do 3.73's so you don't take a huge hit on mpg. If its a weekend car and won't have boost or built motor etc... just a fun street weekend car, then do 4.10's for sure.

The mpg difference between these two gears is not what everyone tries to make it out to be, if you're changing the ring and pinion gas mileage shouldn't be on your list anyways.

Demonio

Established Member
Yeah no biggy on the mpg, it's a v8 regardless is going waste gas, when I put the cams I knew it was going to waste more anyways, would a 50 shot of nos be noticeable in this cars? Is it worth it, 130k in clock wondering if the good old motor can handle the extra work.

Demonio

Established Member

Weekend car now, was dd until I got my Chevy slave 1500 for the dirty work. Maybe I build the motor if it goes out but currently doing a cobra swap so I hope not any time soon

spike_africa

Established Member
I lost 3 mpg on my car from 3.27's to 3.73's and that sucks. Used to go 300miles on the highway on a tank and now not so much. Its something to think about. Since its not a DD then go ahead and gear the shit out of it. I also wanted more then 115mph out of 4th gear so I went 3.73 over 4.10s.

Users who are viewing this thread