Gear choice

Clipboard

Established Member
[Long story short, i destroyed a ring and pinion about 8 months ago. Took my 13 gt to ford, had them replace the 3.55's. 3 months after it started to whine. Now i am tired of it and want it to go away. I have a 1 piece DS and BMR relo's on right now. The rest of my aftermarket stuff is sitting in my garage. (tooo much whine)

I was looking at the rear axle and there is also oil on the Driver side axle tube; from searching i found there is some kind of breather TSB on that.

so here are the choices:
1)take the car in to have ford do the tsb and change the ring and pinion and try this again, with the chance they wont do any work at all because of the DS.

2) buy used 3.31's and some strange or moser axles for some added safety and go to a recommended shop in my area.

what would you guys recommend? i would buy used factory 3.31's since i have not heard of anyone complaining about gear whine. i maybe go to the track once or twice a year, so im not concerned about getting the fastest time out of my car. i will admit i like to have fun on the highway sometimes. (dont know if im staying NA or supercharging yet)

Tyler72

Established Member
As a shop foreman I can tell you that I will never install used gears and give any type of guarantee that they'll be quiet. Its a major pain in the ass to install a set of used gears because they Dont mark the same. The only way we've ever had any success with it was to check pattern before removal of the r&p from the donating housing and also take note of the backlash. Then try to reproduce the same setup in the new rear end. Sometimes it works, sometimes they make noise. My point: Dont waste yours or the installers time. Just buy a new FRPP gear set & a master install kit & do it right the first time.

Also, not sure what it is, may just be the "new cut" design, but all of the new 3.73 cars make gear noise. Mine is sorta annoying now with stock suspension. New suspension is on the way so I'm concerned it might be too loud for me as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread