Gear Installation Problem

97BlackCobra

Hey,

I have a problem, finally got around to getting some extra cash for a 4:30 gear install. The first mechanic i went to, will not swap gear ratios anymore. The reason, he alot of people return their cars because of "whine" that develops.

He went onto say that no matter what kind of gears are installed, they will begin to whine eventually.

I dont have the time or tools/experience to do it in my yard, and dont really trust anyone in my town to do the job. I know my nearest SVT dealer will do it, but damn I dont want pay their labor. But I will continue to search for someone reputable that will do the job for me,

My question is... After a gear swap, is it very common for the rearend to whine?

vehicle:1997 Cobra, flowmaster, K and N. 80000 miles

Thanks
J.

97SVTStang

Established Member
If done right no it will not whine, but the bigger you go on your gear you will have a whine no matter what! I have 4.56 and I do my own gear swaps and I know its done right and they whine just a little. But 4.56 is a pretty big gear and there is no way around it. 4.30's are pretty high gears too you might get a little whine out of them but not much to be annoying or even noticable.

97BlackCobra

Thanks for the replies! I hope to get a gear swap soon, just very worried that it will screw up my car! i know the gear will certainly help my low end, but just dont ruin a fairly cherry vehicle. I would like to put some pullies and an offroad h pipe and mil eliminators on the mod list, so cant afford to shell out labor for a second gear swap.

stay cool
j

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
Also depends on what gears they are. FMS gears wont whine, but Richmond gears will whine no matter who puts them in.
werd.gif

97SVTStang

Established Member
My 4.10's never whined, I have never used 4.30's. I have 4.56's now that have very little whine and I know they are in there right cause after I heard that whine I took everything back apart and checked my work everything measurement wise is perfect, and they are FRPP gears. :shrug:

black96cobra

Established Member
jsnake: where are you located in kentucky, i'm in evansville, in and if you are close, i'll help you do your gear swap, i've done a few and have a friend with a garage if you want to pay him some cash, it'll be cheap and hes good!!

97BlackCobra

I live in northern ky, near a very small town called grayson. I am near the West Virginia border. I have wanted a Cobra ever since 1993 model was available, after about 10 years finally got a used one. I would liked to have had a newer model, but am paying for a 2001 F150 4X4 as well.

If I have good luck with this one, I certainly will be in the market for a used Terminator in the next couple years.

I have planned to very lightly mod my Cobra, since I purchased it in November. So i am taking my time in researching mods and mechanics.

I am a ways from evansville, but really appreciate the offer!

thanks
J

Users who are viewing this thread