gear noise on 4:30s?

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
Im just wondering how many with 4:30 ratio have any whine? I had some with my previous 4:10s also. I just had them installed with FFRP 31 spline axles, Eaton posi, and an FFRP Dif cover. I only have about 15 miles on them so far. Im just thinking maybe its the upper and lower Hotchkis control arms with poly bushings transfering every sound through the Cobra?

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
The CAs will transfer more noise but you shouldn't have any whine.

So it really should not make any noise from the Dif? Just hear Road, and exhaust?

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
You should have no whine.
Who set the gears up for you?

A reputable driveline shop in my area. I dont want to give them a bad name yet. I will see how they will handle it first. I will put more than 15 miles on it first :-D

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
PACIFICGREENSVT said:
did you get the gears new in the box?
used gears will make some noise also.

Brand new FFRP 4:30s. I beleive made by motive now days.:shrug:

fastlane65

Starting lots of projects
Established Member
I just put new FRPP 4.10s in and had a perfect contact pattern during setup. Perfectly quiet on the drive side but whines on coast. Only have 30 or so miles so far. Personally, I don't think the outsourced gears are cut as well as the old in-house ones.

Last edited:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
SVT-98- said:
A reputable driveline shop in my area. I dont want to give them a bad name yet. I will see how they will handle it first. I will put more than 15 miles on it first :-D

Don't put on too many miles otherwise the gears won't ever be quiet. Once a pattern is worn in it's usually to late.

Take it back ASAP.

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
SLOWBRA98 said:
Don't put on too many miles otherwise the gears won't ever be quiet. Once a pattern is worn in it's usually to late.

Take it back ASAP.

I hope 230 miles so far is not too much:shrug:

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
Well I was driving on the highway to the shop, and noticed that when I cut the wheel to the right slightly, the noise would disapear. Looks like I have a bad front right wheel bearing. Sure sounded like the noise was coming from the rear. So its only an easy $65.00 fix this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread