Gear question

94svt5.0

Established Member
Im trying to decide between 3:73 and 3:55 for my 94 cobra. I was wondering if you have to shift into 4th in the 1/4 with 3:55? I know you have to with the 3:73. How hard are they to install? Would i be better off taking it some where? And what should I expect to pay for the install? Thanks

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
It will be close on the 4th shift in the ¼. It will depend on traction, your power band, and a couple of other minor things.

I'd get a reputable shop to install the gears. One that will back their work. The cost will vary some, but expect around $200.00 for installation alone.

PS In my 2001GT with 3:27 gears I'm real close to redline (6200) in third in the ¼.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Whether you take fourth or not, unless you plan on a blower in the future, I'd go with 3.73s. The fastest N/A '94-95 snakes (I've seen) have 3.73s...

RayC76

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
Whether you take fourth or not, unless you plan on a blower in the future, I'd go with 3.73s. The fastest N/A '94-95 snakes (I've seen) have 3.73s...

What he said, unless all you do is drive highway.

94svt5.0

Established Member
I heard that aftermarket gears are noisy, is that true? Whats a good brand? Have any of you all installed the gears yourselves?

Casper5.0

Established Member
Go with Ford Motorsport gears, they don't wine normally because they don't require shimming like other brands. Diversified Performance was doing a special 150.00 for a set. www.buyfordmotorsport.com you'll have to call to find out, they don't list the specials onine.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by 94svt5.0
I heard that aftermarket gears are noisy, is that true? Whats a good brand? Have any of you all installed the gears yourselves?
Not if you get the right gears and they are insalled correctly.
Like it was said... get the Motorsport gears, and go with the 3.73's. It's a perfect gear for the 5.0.

Users who are viewing this thread