Gear swap and powertrain warranty

5.0jake

Established Member
Hey new around here and just traded in my Speed 3 for a new 2011 cobolt blue 6 speed Mustang GT witht 3.31 gears and am loving it, other than the gears and cheesy base steering wheel.

I have a question about swapping my 3.31 gears for the 3.73's and warranty.

First off I know that generally the answer may vary from service dept to service dept and the aftermarket part needs to be the cause of the damage to void that part of your warranty.

What I want to know is other than the rear end is there any part of the tranny or engine a service dept could blame damage caused by the gear swap or is my engine and tranny safe? I can deal with a voided rear end but nothing else.

I called 2 service depts and one said no problem other than the rear end. The other said the transmission could possibly be voided and definately the rear end which I cant believe since this can come from the factory with 3.73 gears installed :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rexisme

Established Member
Buy the FMS 3:73 package and have a ford dealer do the work.... there should be no issue at all with warranty.

5.0jake

Established Member
The one Ford sevice dept that said it could effect the rear end only said they wouldnt do the gear swap and actually gave me the number of a performance shop.
Mechanically speaking could the gear swap actualy effect the engine or transmission in some way where they could put the gears at fault?

silverbullittgt

The DEep SoUth
Established Member
any FMS stuff would only be warrantied 12/12 and you will have to get a flash tuner to recal. the speedo. The Ford IDS will not reflash for a gear swap. Other than that the rest of the new vehicle limited warranty will remain intact

5.0jake

Established Member
I talked to the performance shop i was referred to and they quoted $1600 for a gear swap and tuner to recalibrate, parts/labor. That's sounds crazy high to me. They said I would get 20 more horse in the tuning process and was trying to talk me into 4.10's. All I really care about is the gear swap. Looks like I should have done the 300 dollar gear option to begin with. Fail :(

Last edited:

CGLhawk260

Established Member
After you do the gear swap, won't your speedometter be off? Who will retune your car?

5.0jake

Established Member
I really want to just know if the transmission or engine warranty could be voided due to gears in the dealers eyes?
Any reason they could blame engine or transmission damage on the gears?

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
I actually found Ford dealer in Baltimore that is a certified performance location and they said as long as they installed them the warranty wouldnt be effected at all. They will also recalibrate the speedo:)

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
I actually found Ford dealer in Baltimore that is a certified performance location and they said as long as they installed them the warranty wouldnt be effected at all. They will also recalibrate the speedo:)

My advice on that is to get what they said in writing and signed.

Crap happens..always best to have something to back yourself up with just in case.

5.0jake

Established Member
My advice on that is to get what they said in writing and signed.

Crap happens..always best to have something to back yourself up with just in case.

I agree. They are sounding prety cool so far. He said It wouldn't void any part of the powertrain warranty, not even the rear end. Parts labor/ calibrate around $800-900. I need to test drive a 5.0 with the 3.73 gears to see if this all even worth going through all of this. Is there that big of a difference in pull? Has any one driven the 2 side by side (3.31/3.73's)?

Users who are viewing this thread