Gear Swap

slverstang

Established Member
I have a 2011 GT with 331. Was thinking of going 373. I am running mt82 all motor setup with Boss IM. What are the pros and cons if anyone has done them. Thanks is advance!

Evojayfi21

Established Member
Pros: Faster acceleration, fun to drive on the street
Cons: Fist gear is almost useless, you have to shift a lot, lower top speed, lower mpg, might not be the best for higher HP cars do to traction

Paul.

Established Member
I hate my 3.73s - I'm pulling them out and switching to 3.31s in the next couple weeks. Have to shift into 5th at the track, first gear is useless, almost shifting into 6th at the 1/2 mile, annoying on the street.

Paul.

slverstang

Established Member
I hate my 3.73s - I'm pulling them out and switching to 3.31s in the next couple weeks. Have to shift into 5th at the track, first gear is useless, almost shifting into 6th at the 1/2 mile, annoying on the street.

Paul.

Whats your redline and your trap?

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Stick with the 3.31 and use a 26" tire, should be perfect. I also have a 3.31 and pass the traps in 4th at 6800 rpm or so. With the boss manifold, you will have a little more RPM in the other gears to use so you'll probably pass around 6700 or so in 4th.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I like my 373 rear. Factory equipped. I'm staying n/a, and I have a GT350 manifold so I can run out 4th at the track. I skip 2nd and 4th gear in normal driving.

noldevin

Established Member
I'm not a huge fan of my 3.73s either. They almost always whine because so few people take the time to set them up right. 1st gear is pretty useless unless you have drag tires. Cruising RPM on the highway is high enough where your exhaust starts to get loud, which kind of sucks for long trips. If you do any sort of highway/roll racing the extra shifting is a disadvantage.

The only time I'd get them is if you're drag racing a lot and want to counteract a taller tire or finish at a certain RPM.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
You really need to use an online calculator for this. I know a lot of guys that do a gear swap, going numerically higher and love it on the street. Hit the track and hitting the traps way out of your power band. Then they have the dilimma to keep that gear for the streets, swap the gear or try a different height tire.

With a boss im you want to trap at least somewhere in the 7500 range. If not or you don't want to hit it that high, I would go back to the stock intake.

With my auto, I trap in 3rd around 7800 when I had my boss im. And now that it's back on, be the same.

Last edited:

StalkerStang

Established Member
I had the chance to run at the strip a couple weeks back....

Staying in 4th, I'm going through the traps right about 7500, thats with a 27.5 in tall tire. Speed is 114 almost 115.

Paul.

Established Member
Got my 3.73s swapped out for 3.31s two weekends go.

SO much better. I should've done this years ago. Oh, and my 3.31s don't whine like my factory 3.73s did.

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread